Labor Day ride at Pickett state forest

Discussion in 'Upcoming Tennessee SSW Rides' started by commanderjjones, Jul 30, 2014.

1. commanderjjones

commanderjjones SSW Rally/Event Director Staff Member

If anyone wants to join us, we're gonna head up Friday afternoon 8/29 and pitch camp at the trailhead on Blackhouse Mountain road. We'll ride Saturday and Sunday (maybe a short ride on Friday evening if we have time), then pack up to leave Monday morning 9/1.

2. slane01

slane01 Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a fun Ride....I will be in Nashville, but working labor day weekend :-(

3. commanderjjones

Work is overrated.......blow off that crap and come join us. :lol:

4. slane01

slane01 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, tell me about it....Unfortunately I have not picked the right lotto numbers yet. I will be on vacation in Branson MO the week before Labor day and driving from Branson to Nashville on Friday the 29th for the opportunity to spend the weekend working....Yeah!

I don't have to work on 9/27 for the Toys for Tots ride though and am considering heading down to that. I will be in TN the weekend prior, but not with the UTV or any of the kids so I would have to fly home on 9/22 and drive back on 9/26.

5. commanderjjones

Great. Maybe we'll see you then.

6. commanderjjones

We had a great ride Saturday. We rode a couple of trails (or sections of) that I had never been on before. We started by going to Tea Cup, then further out to Blowing Hole cave, out to Dry Hollow church before looping back, then ended the day by running car hauler trail....which I have never done on a SXS before.

It was nice meeting Brian and Amber. Luckily they had a GPS because I was in a rush when we left and forgot mine.

Some friends of ours (Bill & Melody and their kids Carley and Colton) went with us in their Teryx4. This wasn't their "first" riding trip, but they are still very new to off-roading, so this was quite an adventure. Bill handled it like a champ, although he did mention some "puckering" on the ledge below car hauler.

I think we got about 35 quality miles in, with no incidents and good weather.

It came a GULLY WASHER up there Saturday night, so Bill & crew packed up that morning during a break in the rain. After looking at the radar, we decided to pack up as well and came home later that evening. I was REALLY wanting to ride again on Sunday, but didn't wanna go it alone and didn't wanna get soaked either.

We didn't cover as much as we wanted to, but all trails seem to be open still....although we did see a couple of signs and gates that weren't closed......yet