New John Deere 855D

Discussion in 'John Deere SXS Discussion' started by roadrunner, Jun 29, 2015.

1. roadrunner

roadrunner Veteran Member

Out riding a trail yesterday I met up with a couple that had just bought a new John Deere 855D. It has Yanmar Diesel engine mounted under the bed and I must say it is a very well built machine. The Air Cleaner is still mounted low on the right hand side like the previous JD UTV's I had looked at. The air intake for the CVT was in a poor location like the the 900 Ranger mounted just a head of the left rear tire. Accessibility for service looked good too. We exchanged rides and they fell in love with my 900 XP. They like the ride, power and of course the EPS which the one they bought didn't have. My impression of the 855D Ride was it is made more for work, but really wasn't all that bad. Handled very well even though it didn't have EPS. Being a Diesel top end speed didn't compare to my 900, but low end torque was very impressive. The ride in the cab area was quiet and comfortable, but I felt a bit more cramped than I do in my 900. The ergonomics were very good as well. JD will sell a lot of these. John Deere 855D.jpg

2. pwm

pwm Assistant SSW Rally/Event Director Staff Member

That's a great looking ride

3. carnivore

carnivore Registered Member

The John Deeres are actually decent machines. Did they add tilt steering to the new model?

4. roadrunner

Curt, I don't think this one had the tilt, but it was comfortable the way it was. The fellow said they now have EPS on the later models. It was a stout, hefty built looking machine where Deere was targeting the commercial work market, but yet making it attractive for the casual UTV buyer. Hard to figure why a company like Deere placed the Engine Air Cleaner and CVT air intakes where they did. All companies do things that make us scratch our heads wondering why they did this or that.

I did love that little Yanmar Diesel! I have a Yarmar Diesel in my Deere 6625 Loader and it has been a great little engine and miserly on fuel consumption.

5. carnivore

carnivore Registered Member

The last one I drove reminded me of the 05-08 Rangers the way the steering was set up.

6. roadrunner

Come to think about it Curt that is a good comparison. Other than feeling a little cramped over my 900 I found it rather comfortable for a UTV made for work.