Primary Clutch Bearing Bad

Discussion in 'Post Your SXS Problems' started by jerrzr, Apr 17, 2013.

1. jerrzr

jerrzr Veteran Member

My primary clutch bearing went out but the major problem I had was not having the specialty tools to separate the clutch assembly. So after i llittle bit of research, I made this jig and slightly modified a superatv rear sway bar to get the job done.
    [​IMG]

2. commanderjjones

commanderjjones SSW Rally/Event Director Staff Member

Now I know where I need to go if I need to borrow the tool. :lol:

I've never had to replace one but heard it was sort of a pain. Could you give us a quick run down of the how-to?

3. jerrzr

jerrzr Veteran Member

That spider tool will always be hanging there between the first and second garage door-you know my doors are always unlocked so get it any time you need it. It will work on your XP--(side note Me and Kevin "winchworm" may be hooking up for a ride Sat at WR if your interested,come join us and a few more)

As far as my jig goes, I just set the clutch on a 2x8 and marked the outer edges of the clutch fins. I connected the dots and drew six lines. I set my skill saw to 1/2" and cut the lines out--a couple of passes to get them wide enough so that the clutch fins would fit inside. Chiseled out the center so the clutch could fully seat into the cuts. Drilled a hole in the center and nailed the whole thing on the wall. I used an A-arm bolt with a step washer to mount and snug the clutch assembly into the jig.
    [​IMG]

As far as the spider tool, superatv sway bar had the perfect diameter so just really needed to weld three short pieces of 1/2" flat bar to it. I added a socket so I could use my torque wrench to make sure I got it put back at 200ft/lbs. The cool thing about mounting it on the wall is that 200ft/lbs presents absolutely no strain or grunting involved. Put the spider tool on the left and pull down with your weight to loosen, and then put it on the right and pull down with your weight to tighten--200ft/lbs clicks pretty easy.. It took me about an hour to tinker with it all but the best thing is that I didn't have to spend any $, just made use from stuff laying around that otherwise I would have thrown away. 8)

Here are some of the best videos, that I have came across about learning about the clutches. Now Blackbart - "The Clutch Guru" -stayed with me a few nights back and got some ride time in with him--but his clutching brain at the time was way over my head- its all soaked in now. :lol:
    Some good clutch videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=k0khXyugGSE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jvpmFbtkTRg

And Todd at Hunterworks has some good clutch videos-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfEcBEflYwI&feature=player_embedded

4. commanderjjones

I might do that. We were going to go rock climbing in the morning, but everything will be too wet to make that much fun. And with it being so muddy, the girls may wanna ride with me instead of their bikes.

What time are y'all meeting (in the parking lot, I assume)?

5. jerrzr

jerrzr Veteran Member

We all are meeting in the parking lot at 10am. Several of our local crew will be going bringing their wives so it will be more of a "social" ride but there is always someone that does something crazy that's fun just to watch. You should come out and get to meet some of your neighbors..lol.. Most of them are not on any of the forums. They are really great bunch of guys and gals

6. commanderjjones

We will "probably" be there. Still making last minute decisions. :roll: