Save Wolf Pen Gap

Discussion in 'State Laws...SXS Related' started by thundermountain, Aug 3, 2012.

1. thundermountain

thundermountain Regular Member

Last Friday's Fort Smith Times Record newspaper had on the front page an article about the U.S. Forest Services plans for trail closures due to "sedimentation concerns" . This action they propose does not take into consideration the revenue the city of Mena and State of Arkansas makes off of tourism... stated to be 5.8 million loss for the county alone .

persons of interest to contact are:
    Tim Kiser , presedent of The Ouachita atv club Ouachita ATV Club - Ouachita ATV Club, Mena AR
    Senator Mark Pryor
    U.S. Senator Mark Pryor
    Senator John Boozeman
    John Boozman, United States Senator for Arkansas

Mena District Ranger Tim Oosterhous
    1-479-394-2382

gory details here..... USDA Forest Service - Mena Ranger District NEPA Projects - Wolf Pen Gap 2011 Project

2. commanderjjones

commanderjjones SSW Rally/Event Director Staff Member

I hate to hear that and hope it can be stopped.

They closed Cherokee National Forest here on the TN side (approximately 650,000 acres) when I was a kid and it has never (and will never) reopen. :(

More recently (about 5 years ago), they closed the NC side (known as Tellico ORV area) of the same area for the same reason as you mentioned, sedimentation.......even though Southern 4x4 (Jeep club) had done extensive work to the trails, including more than a dozen new bridges and more than 100 drain pipes, to prevent and eliminate problems. :roll:

My experience is that once it's closed, the chances of it ever reopening are EXTREMELY slim. So best of luck to you guys.....fight it tooth and nail. :wink:

3. slane01

slane01 Moderator Staff Member

I wish you guys luck fighting the trail closure. It will sure be sad if they keep closing the trails :-(