Thanksgiving Turducken on the Big Green Egg

Discussion in 'Outdoor Cooking' started by slane01, Nov 28, 2013.

1. slane01

slane01 Moderator Staff Member

I have not done a BBQ writeup in a while, so I figured I would share this experience. This was a fun cook!

For Thanksgiving dinner this year I am cooking a more Southern Dish, I figured if I may be moving South in the future, I may as well start cooking that way now :)

I am going to cook a Turducken, which is a whole boneless chicken, approximately 4 lbs, stuffed inside a whole boneless duck, approximately 7 lbs, stuffed inside of a partially de-boned turkey, approximately 18 lbs. The de-boning takes about 15-20 minutes per bird so I figured I would start prepping the Chicken and Duck tonight. The Turkey will be de-boned tomorrow nite and every thing will be assembled early Thanksgiving morning.

The Turkey will have a layer of cornbread stuffing, followed by the duck. The duck will have a layer of sage, onion, multi-color bell pepper, & fajita style chicken sausage stuffing, followed by the chicken, and the chicken will be stuffed with a cajun rice stuffing.

The turkey is only partially de-boned so the drums & wings are still intact. That way, once it is all laced together, it resembles a normal stuffed turkey.

The entire Turducken will then be laced up together and smoked on the Big Green Egg for about 8 hours. I will be using an apple, cherry & hickory wood for smoke.

This was a fun cook. There are lots of pics

4.5lb Whole Chicken
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7lb Whole Duck
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18.5lb Whole Turkey
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was awesome! It was like a Poultry Meatloaf :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RZRRich

RZRRich SSW Director Staff Member

Holy smokes bud, that sounds/looks good .... and quite the spread too .... dang !! :shock: I can't see how there would be many left-overs doing it up like that !! :D 8) :wink:

3. slane01

slane01 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, it was quite a spread :lol: :shock: My two boys that are now living on there own were very happy. I think one lives in $5 pizza and the other lives on microwavable dinners. Needless to say they each had a whole ton of food to take home. I literally gave all the leftovers away. However, it was awesome having the whole family together again tonight. It has been awhile.

4. pwm

pwm Assistant SSW Rally/Event Director Staff Member

Bring that recipe on down when you come and us Southerners will try it out for ya! 8)

5. commanderjjones

commanderjjones SSW Rally/Event Director Staff Member

Man, that looks tasty! I scarfed down a whole bunch of turkey yesterday but think I could make more room if that was on the menu. 8)