Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
“09” RZR Battery Upgrade: EMP Battery Tray / Optima 34/78 Series Battery

I decided it was time to do the Battery upgrade on our “09” RZR. I’m not running many accessories yet, so far just a Viper EX4000 winch, with the possibility of a few other accessories and some aftermarket lighting in the near future.
Below you will see the Optima Red Top 34/78 series battery and the OEM battery side by side

Here is the EMP Battery Tray – very nice piece. Its powder-coated black – very nice fit and finish. Decent hardware also.

It also comes with 2 Battery Post clamps w/wing-nuts.

Here is the Optima Red Top 34/78 series Battery.
1000 Cranking Amps / 800 Cold Cranking Amps

The EMP Battery tray and the Optima Red Top 34/78 Series Battery shown together on the work bench.

First off you will need to remove the OEM battery box. I did so by using a hack saw blade by itself and making my cut along a line between the OEM battery box and the underseat storage box – keeping in mind that the storage box can remain if desired, which I wanted to keep in place. Once the cut was complete, lift the OEM Battery box out of place, debur / clean up the rough edges left behind on the edge of the storage box.

Prior to dropping the EMP Battery Tray into place you will need to do some minor re-routing of the electrical harness that is routed along the Driver’s side frame rail. It will be intuitively obvious once you attempt to install the EMP Battery Tray what will need to be done here – not to worry, it’s not a issue. I used a couple of Ty-Straps to hold the harness out of the way.

EMP Battery Tray / Optima 34/78 Series Battery installed into the RZR along with the Battery Post clamps w/wing-nuts also. I very pleased with the way this package fits into the existing space – EMP did a very nice job utilizing the available space and I would recommend their Battery Tray if you plan on doing the Battery upgrade, it allows you to replace your small OEM battery with a highly recommended Full Sized Deep Cell Battery.
The dimensions of the EMP Battery Tray are: 9-7/8” x 6 7/8” x 6-3/4”
The EMP Battery Tray part number is: 10108 EMP RZR

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Great writeup Rich!

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
Nice write-up Rich

·
Registered
237 Posts
That's a really nice set up. Those Optima batteries are tough.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You can't beat a full size battery in them

1 - 8 of 8 Posts