Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting in getting my 10 year old son a RZR 170 but my wife did not like the salesman telling her it is not for mudding. I assume its okay for trail riding but is a mini buggy better?

If so what brand, I have been trying to find American made but it seems most are Chinese (American Sportworks sells Chinese buggy's). Would like full suspension with a rack on the back.

Thanks!

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
mechalloy said:
Interesting in getting my 10 year old son a RZR 170 but my wife did not like the salesman telling her it is not for mudding. I assume its okay for trail riding but is a mini buggy better?

If so what brand, I have been trying to find American made but it seems most are Chinese (American Sportworks sells Chinese buggy's). Would like full suspension with a rack on the back.

Thanks!
Ed, Welcome to the SSW - glad to have you join us !! :D :wink: Hang tight - we have some Buggy experts here who will fill in the blanks for you shortly bud.
Where's Eric or Guy when you need them? :lol: 8) :wink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see the Carter makes a little SXS maybe that is better than the RZR 170? Look appealing better clearance just 2" but larger tires. Same swing arm suspension. The 300 model has IRS and 12" of clearance but getting out of my price range.

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
These are the buggy guy's:

Eric, aka - "bige"
http://www.mcdonoughpowersports.com/

Mark, aka - "guy48065"

·
SSW Support Staff
320 Posts
welcome, Carter was the only one American made but their plant burned down two weeks ago and it will be around christmas before they can get back into production.

What type of terrain will you be riding in? how tall is your son? and budget plays a role in which you get. Where are you located? The top brands are carter, hammerhead, american sportworks, Joyner and kinroad.

he most likey will fit in a 150 ok, if you want a smaller 250 then look at the hammerhead 250gt. right now hammerhead is the only manufacture that has any in stock.

here is a link to a build we did with mtx audio and hemmerhead, It left for a one year tour a couple of weeks ago, its a little extreme but fun

http://buggynews.com/worlds-loudest-buggy-build-t22829.html?hilit=the%20worlds%20loudest%20buggy&start=390

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tell me more of what it would cost for a buggy like that, with out the camo but some other color choices? I like the layout of the buggy with the back rack and particularly like the plastic. Any links to where and how much to purchase?

He is tall for his age, can't recall the exact number, but wanted the plastic body panels like the Carter Matrix 150 and 300 but don't know much about these SXS's. I like the IRS of the 300 but the lower price of the 150 solid rear but 2" more ground clearance than the RZR 150. So a mini buggy with IRS and plastic with a rack in the 150 range would be prefect.

·
SSW Support Staff
320 Posts
the base price for the gts150 is $2500.00, colors on the base model are red, blue and black. We can add wheels, tires, lights, performance package for the trail riding, if you want other options like on the show buggy we can do that, the video stuff is not to practacal for off roading.

here is my web sight for more info on them, the hammerheads start on page two and go to page three you can call me toll free at 1-877-563-4046

http://www.mcdonoughpowersports.com/_content/products.aspx?category=Buggies

www.mcdonoughpowersports.com

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One of the issues I see especially for slight mud play and trail riding is ground clearance. The Youth RZR is 6" (stock tires), the Matrix by Carter 150 is 7" (bigger tires than youth), the Matrix 300 with IRS is 12", most of the buggies are 6.7" some with larger tires than the Youth RZR, and the IRS buggies are 10" or above. So if I go with larger tires on the Youth how does it compare for mudding and trail riding?

·
SSW Support Staff
320 Posts
they come stock with 20x10x10 rear tires and 19x7x8 fronts. the tires are not true to height and dont do very well in mud.

My wifes 150gt has itp holseshots on the rear 20x11x10 and kenda front max on the front 20x7x8. the ground clearance is much better than stock, and I have only been high centered one time on a very large rock.

We ride alot of trails with some very rocky terrain on some, the key is getting some good tires and if a trail has lots of rocks and ruts picking the correct line is key. I like to run 22x11x10 on the rear ( unless you are doing flat track racing ) and a 20 or 21 inch tall tire on the front.

If doing mud then get some mud lights or kenda bear claws and set the cvt up for low end power and they do pretty well, I have some video on my you tube sight and there is alot of video from the buggybash on buggynews.com

These things surprise alot of people on where they can go and what they can do

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What to you have that has a stock setup and is good in the mud and rough trails? I hate to approach the wife with not only the price but the need to buy more tires, how much do bigger tires cost?

·
SSW Support Staff
320 Posts
Where are you located? we can do a 15gts with the performance pack, itp ss112 sport wheels and mud lights for $3100.00, that would be set up for low end power. All the 150's have a solid rear axle

·
SSW Support Staff
320 Posts
there is probably a dealer up there, shipping one from here fully assembled would run around 500.00

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any idea how to find a dealer in my area? I look on their website and they don't have a find the dealer options but I did find one on the Power Sports Network but only goes for 100 miles, nothing even using Green Bay WI.

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
Uh Oh - sounds like some "VERY lucky" 10 yr. old might just be getting a new buggy so he can go riding with Dad. :D 8) :wink:

·
SSW Support Staff
320 Posts
this dealer has a red and a blue gts150 in stock.

The Toy Shop of Eagle River LLC
5045 State Hwy 70 W
Eagle River, WI 54521
Tel: 715-479-9090
Web: www.thetoyshoponline.com

1 - 20 of 20 Posts