Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE A QUESTION FOR ALL THE 2010 RZR OWNERS. WHY DOES THE 2010 RZR FREEWHEEL WHEN THE SPEED GETS DOWN TO 20MPH OR LESS? I HAVE A 2009 RZR AND IT DOES NOT FREEWHEEL AT 20MPH, AS A MATTER OF FACT IT WILL GO DOWN TO 3 OR 4 MPH BEFORE IT FREEWHEELS. I HAVE A FRIEND THAT HAS A 2010 RZR AND HE IS NOT AT ALL HAPPY WITH IT. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF POLARIS CHANGED THE ENGINE OR TRANSMISSION FROM THE 2009? THEY ARE TELLING US THAT THE RZR DOES NOT HAVE THE EBS ON IT BECAUSE OF THE WEIGHT ETC. I WILL BE VERY INTERESTED IN ANY ADVISE OR COMMENTS ON THIS MATTER. THANK YOU BROWNIE

·
4,369 Posts
I am not too familiar with the RZRs, but it sounds like an EBS issue. I am sure one of the RZR guys will chime in soon.

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
That is correct, Rangers and RZRs dont have EBS because the system can't take the weight. Its a double edged sword, because the guys that drive fast and race the RZRs don't want engine breaking, but the guys that trail ride do. Polaris changed the secondary clutch part way through 09 to a no roller style clutch. The easiest fix is to get a DDP secondary clutch kit. It will give you better performance and engine breaking. Be sure to tell him you want engine breaking.

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
carnivore said:
That is correct, Rangers and RZRs dont have EBS because the system can't take the weight. Its a double edged sword, because the guys that drive fast and race the RZRs don't want engine breaking, but the guys that trail ride do. Polaris changed the secondary clutch part way through 09 to a no roller style clutch. The easiest fix is to get a DDP secondary clutch kit. It will give you better performance and engine breaking. Be sure to tell him you want engine breaking.
Make a call to "Dirty Dawg Dale" @ 763-228-4345 http://www.dirtydawgperformance.net/

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
It true that neither of the RZRs have EBS, it seems that they have that effect, but most of the time is because the clutch is still engaged. My regular RZR has a slower idle and it will disengage pretty quick if you don't give it just alittle pedal while going down hill. With the "S" I have the idle set where it acts likes an EBS on some pretty steep grades. If you are doing alot of trail riding in hilly trails I would get with Dale about his clutch setup, if it's just every once in a while, I would just try a little more pedal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is my first post!

As far as engine braking in a stock configuration, I just add a little throttle to engage the trans and let the clutch take me down the hill slowly. Now on steep angles the rear tires might slide a little because no Polaris trans have any engine braking going to the front.

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
Underdog said:
This is my first post!

As far as engine braking in a stock configuration, I just add a little throttle to engage the trans and let the clutch take me down the hill slowly. Now on steep angles the rear tires might slide a little because no Polaris trans have any engine braking going to the front.
Troy, Welcome to the SSW - glad you joined up with us. :D :wink: What you refer to above is what's termed as the "Two Step" .... a little brake / a little gas. Sounds like you have a nice machine - post some pics when you can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
RZRRich said:
Underdog said:
This is my first post!

Troy, Welcome to the SSW - glad you joined up with us. :D :wink: What you refer to above is what's termed as the "Two Step" .... a little brake / a little gas. Sounds like you have a nice machine - post some pics when you can.
Thanks for the welcome. The "two step" isn't really what I do when going down a steep hill. I don't use the brake at all, because it seems no matter what Polaris model I buy, it seems to eat up the brake pads. So I use as little brake as possible while riding. I'll have to try the "two step" sometimes, maybe that might reduce the rear tires from sliding on real steep hills.

My sportsman 850 seemed to go down steep hills the best. My old Magnum actually controls the exactly same going downh ills as my RZR.

Even with those problems, it really doesn't bother me that they act this way. Matter of fact, I don't like anti-lock brakes either. Probably because when I was learning to drive there was no such thing as anti-lock brakes or traction control.

A lot of people complain about these issues - but I love to drive my RZR and I don't care about those little things. My biggist complaint is I don't get to ride as much as I want due to the long distance to the trails.

·
4,369 Posts
Gary Lenon said:
Nice avatar Steve!
Thanks Gary! Am I still on the Bottom of your List :shock: or did me and Jerry Trade places again 8)

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
slane01 said:
Gary Lenon said:
Nice avatar Steve!
Thanks Gary! Am I still on the Bottom of your List :shock: or did me and Jerry Trade places again 8)
:shock: Dang, I guess it's time to change my avatar. :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts