Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
SSW Support Staff
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anybody else see this where Shell was saying gas around 5 dollars by 2012? When is the congress and president going to wake up and realize the way to fix this economy is fuel prices.

·
Registered
511 Posts
If I remember correctly, last month one of Obama's advisory committees recommended adding 40 cents tax per gallon to gasoline to help fix the economy and the federal highways.

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Just when I thought that the economy was showing signs of improvement. That's all we need to set us back. :roll:

·
PRC & SSW Administrator
4,302 Posts
I'm going to start parking the Ranger on a hill, so I can ride it one more time if the gas gets too expensive.

·
4,369 Posts
That sucks when I have to drive 125 miles round trip each day for work.....4 bucks a gallon almost broke me. I guess I may need to really consider moving closer to work as much as I hate too :-(

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
I'm not far behind you, Steve.....I drive 100 mile round trip per day. We had a local spike that took diesel to $5.00 per gallon last summer for a little over 2 weeks and I about had a cow! :shock:

·
4,369 Posts
commanderjjones said:
I'm not far behind you, Steve.....I drive 100 mile round trip per day. We had a local spike that took diesel to $5.00 per gallon last summer for a little over 2 weeks and I about had a cow! :shock:
Yeah, the $5.00 a gallon Diesel bytes. I am in process of likely buying a Diesel Pickup. However the Fuel costs scare me.

I ended up finally selling my 1999 31 ft Fleetwood Tioga Motorhome when gas was consistently running $3.00 a gallon. It had the Ford V10 motor that got like 8 miles a gallon on a good day.

It was a blast to have for many years. However, it became a yard ornament as it was just plain cheaper to get a motel. I really do miss the thing and think I would like to now get a camper instead. My Kids love to camp.

·
SSW Support Staff
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gary Lenon said:
I'm going to start parking the Ranger on a hill, so I can ride it one more time if the gas gets too expensive.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
slane01 said:
However the Fuel costs scare me.
I'm sure that you already know it, but one must also consider the extra maintenance expense. You'll be doing a 4 or 5 gallon oil change instead of 5 or 6 quarts. Plus much more frequent fuel filter changes and (if you buy a new one) the cost of urea. The additional fuel mileage is nice, but it's barely offsets the additional cost and upkeep unless you tow often. I've been price shopping the new Powerstrokes and the diesel upgrade is $7800 :shock: :x . With that being said, I can't see myself going back to a gas engine truck unless I absolutely have to.

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
With the upgrade cost of the 7.3 back when I bought mine (2001) I remember reading that the average owner would have to put approx. 150,000 miles on the truck to break even on the Diesel upgrade investment. I still love mine, I have gotten as high as 23 mpg (non towing/75mph/cruise control) when I keep my foot out of the 'Loud Pedal' but I've also installed a SuperChip(+70 hp/110ft lbs torque) and a K&N air induction kit. It does run good :twisted: :!:

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
And keep in mind you don't change the oil on a diesel as often.

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
I heard the news about the $5.00 gasoline, and the statement came from a EX-President of Shell. That was a pretty bold statement and it started alot of discussions within the company I work for (Shell). On our company website it had the entire interview, and he did say that gasoline would be $5.00 a gallon, if the adminstration continued to keep offshore or for that matter most of the domestic drilling shutdown, we will be dependent more on foreign oil and with shortages and transportation the cost of crude would go up for Americans, which raise prices of most of our consumer goods including gasoline.

As for the Deisel I too have a deisel truck, I don't like the prices either, but people should remember that deisel was fairly cheap until 2005 when the government manadated that by 2007 all deisel vehicles will run Low Sulpher deisel. Low Sulpher means more processing, which means more cost pre gallon to produce. Somebody (Consumers) will have to pay the difference.

·
Registered
170 Posts
DERRICK, explain to me how anyone in there right mind would actually believe that our government wants to get the economy going again,for every 1/2 of something[since every thing they do never gets follow through and or back fires and makes the little guy pay for it] they do right they do 20 wrong Jerry the economy has not started going again thats just what they tell us theres still people losing jobs My wifes company just sent her division of over 280 over seas 2-months ago which is LAB ONE which handles every insurance company for injury or illness claims.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I to have a diesel thank god the company i work for pays for my fuel i would have lost everything with the outragous prices that have been around here.5.00 a gallon would instantly shut down alot of buissness if they dont pass that on and that just kills the next guy and so on untill we have everything else raise to pay for it,YA that just makes sense NOT!!!!

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
foxcrew6 said:
Jerry the economy has not started going again thats just what they tell us theres still people losing jobs.
I'm not saying we're out of the woods yet. The improvement I mentioned is just the trend that I'm seeing in the marine industry....which is a luxury market and typically one of the first things to go south. Our business is up nearly 60% from this time last year.....and yes, I'm very thankful. :)

·
SSW Support Staff
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
back in 1999 average price for gallon of gas $1.17 so how to we get to $3.39 right now for gas? I have a hard time believing that people in government want us all to go broke? But it does sure look like that.

·
Registered
170 Posts
they raise the price of fuel to say 2.00 a gallon and then its 2.70 and then they drop it to 2.50 or 2.4999999999 and it just makes you think that they have lowered the gas prices when in reality the original raise was to 2.00 but they got it over that and figured we kept paying so lets inch it up alittle more then all of a sudden you forget about the 2.00[THEY THINK] because you remember [YESTERDAY] the 2.70 and now its 2.499999999 so thats the game in my opinion they play, my diesel fuel work get for me 10 years ago and i didnt ask them to put CRAP in it then charge me more

·
Registered
162 Posts
Cost of Diesel exceeds gas and most likely that trend will continue. If doing heavy towing I can see it. But at $7800 for the upgrade and at $40.00 to change my own oil with Mobile 1 per oil change. That comes out to 1950 oil changes. At 6000 mi. per oil change that is 11,7000,00 miles. Me thinks that is a just cause to stick with gas. I have 132,000 on my 2006 Dodge Ram and it looks and runs like a new one. Think I will keep that $7800 in my pocket for now. If I put 300000 on it I will have made 50 oil changes total. :roll: at $40ea. which is $2000 for oil changes. That is a $5800 savings over the upgrade to diesel. May take me ten to twenty more minutes to make the same 100 mile trip as the big diesel, but I will live with that. When not towing I average 19 mi per gallon so that is really not a factor when I consider the cost of diesel per gallon.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My family has a little bit of "stripper" production, oil that is. Dad has several old wells, that we are squeezing what we can out of. He makes a decent living at it. He is having trouble getting his oil picked up. I've been told that all of the terminals are running out of storage space. Almost all domestic oil goes through Cushing, OK via pipeline. Cushing has been in danger of running out of storage space for the last year or so. Until the government loosens some regulations and allows more refineries to be built the cost of fuel will continue to rise. Even with the global warming BS and all the "green" hoopla, fuel consumption in the US continues to grow. The rise in price is not due to shortage of oil, but due to a shortage of storage space and refinery capacity. Government regulations have a whole lot more to do with oil and fuel prices than the general public knows.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts