Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at upgrading suspension on my 05 XP. I figure it will be in the ballpark of $3500 - $4000 for materials and I build myself for long travel or $6500 for a bolt in kit. My question is how much improvement do you get with just the addition of aftermarket shocks such as the walker evans kit (@1500). Between spacers, forward A arms, and offset rims I have the look of long travel just not the ride. I would hate to put out $1500 for shocks to find little improvement when I could put that towards materials. I relize just shocks won't increase my travel but if they can make the 9 or so inches I have now a lot smoother I think I will give it a try.

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
The Walker Evans shocks definetly improve the handling on the Rangers. I bet if you look around you can get decent Long Travel setup for around 5,000.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Brain go to PRC [polaris ranger club] and search for LEGEND AIR shocks they are suppose to be the way to go,i hear...

·
4,369 Posts
foxcrew6 said:
Brain go to PRC [polaris ranger club] and search for LEGEND AIR shocks they are suppose to be the way to go,i hear...
Those would be fine for the rear, but you have the struts on the front of that model year. I don't know if they have replacements for the front strut too.

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
From what I have been seeing on the web and search through the different stores to me systems seem to be getting better priced so the common man doesn't have to break the bank to fixing up our machines. Being you have the extra seats in the back I would research some on the different air suspensions out there and pick you out on to try.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have an 2006 XP with a full cage and rear seat, I purchased and installed the Walker Evans. 150% improvement in ride quality, gained about 1" in ride travel, an honest 9 inches. It has allowed me to go faster in the rough stuff and still a soft ride at slow speeds. I donot use the XP as much any more since I purchased the RZR-S. I think you would be very pleased with the Walker's. Which ever shock you use, tell them you have wheel spacers, which would require a little stiffer spring.

·
4,369 Posts
The Walker Evan sound very nice. However, I also believe I had heard that Legend Air Suspension was now also making shocks for that year Ranger too.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feed back. We were in the Oregon dunes last week and my wife finally went for a ride with me in a buddies rzrs :D :D :D . I think the ranger suspension money may be going towards a rzr. Still want to keep the ranger but won't need long travel on it if I have the rzr. Perfect setup, one to haul the kids and dogs and one for me to haul in :) .

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
upnover said:
Thanks for the feed back. We were in the Oregon dunes last week and my wife finally went for a ride with me in a buddies rzrs :D :D :D . I think the ranger suspension money may be going towards a rzr. Still want to keep the ranger but won't need long travel on it if I have the rzr. Perfect setup, one to haul the kids and dogs and one for me to haul in :) .
Sounds like a good game plan Brian - I'm sure you'll enjoy the RZR as well as you do your Ranger.

·
Registered
211 Posts
RZRRich said:
upnover said:
Sounds like a good game plan Brian - I'm sure you'll enjoy the RZR as well as you do your Ranger.
Are you thinking RZR or RZR-S? The "S" has more power and better suspension.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If we go new it will be the "s". Punching all the numbers and checking the classifieds to see what is out there. The wife has informed me that the "addict money" won't be there so I am leaning towards a new "s" and then I won't have to do much as far as motor or suspension goes. Only necessities will be doors and belts. I think (hoping!) a stock "s" will keep me happy for a year or two before I can start personalizing. Hate to spend the extra for the "s" but from the little research I have been able to do it sounds like money well spent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts