Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a pleasant suprise yesterday, My Mother-in-Law gave me two slabs of Baby Back Ribs that needed to be cooked by Friday. This wasn't a very well planned out cook for a weekday as Baby Backs typically take about 4.5 hours too cook.

Since this was a pretty much a rush cook, I through together a quick rub consisting of Brown Sugar, Cane Sugar, Paprika, Pepper, Salt, Seasnoning Salt, Chili Powder, Hickory Smoked Salt, and probably a couple of other things I found in the cupboard. For a throw together rub without measuring anything, it turned out pretty good.

The Baby Back Ribs will cook with a 2-2-1 method, meaning that they will smoke for 2 hours at 250-275 degrees and then will be pulled from the grill, wrapped in foil and cooked for another 2 hours in the foil pouch. After the foil pouch cook, the ribs are unwrapped and finished on the grill during the last hour (maybe less than an hour)

The cook starts as all rib cooks usually do. First you need to remove the sliver-skin membrane from the back of the ribs. Once that is done you can use your rub of choice for the meat. I usually like to coat my ribs in yellow mustard, then rub, wrap in plastic wrap and set in fridge overnite. However I did not have time for that. So the Silver Skin membrane was removed and the ribs were rubbed with the dry rub I threw together.

Once the ribs were rubbed, the were placed on the smoker for 2 hours at 250 degrees. Once the 2 Hours were up, the ribs were pulled from the smoker and wrapped in foil.

For this particular cook, I ended up coating one slab of ribs in Honey before placing in the foil pouch and I coated the other slab of ribs in Honey, + a Hot Pepper Raspberry Chipotle sauce. and placed in a foil pouch.

I have never used the Raspberry Chipotle sauce before, but had wanted to try something different.

The ribs finished cooking after sitting on the smoker for another 2 hours in the foil pouches at 250 degrees.

After that 2 hours is up, the ribs are unwrapped from the foil and left to finish on the smoker for up to another hour, depending on doneness.

I left them on there for another 10 minutes unwrapped, then I sauced the Honey only slab with Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce. The Raspberry Slab I sauced with a mix of Sweet Baby Rays and the Hot Pepper Raspberry Chipotle Sauce.

The sauced ribs were on the grill for an additional 10 minutes and then pulled.

I really liked the flavor of the Raspberry Chipotle sauce. I will definitely use that again.

Once they were ready to be eaten (at 9:30 PM tonight) I even called my Dad up and had him come over for some fresh smoked Baby Back Ribs carryout...he had just awaken from a nap and was hungry, so it worked out well :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
HOLY CRAP THOSE LOOK AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought they turned out pretty good...I wish I had some more of the Raspberry ones for breakfast this morning :) Oh well, my dad enjoyed them last nite.

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Great, now I'm hungry again :roll: Very nice Steve!

·
Registered
237 Posts
WOW, Steve you are the man!

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
DANG :shock: - just from looking at the pics Steve, I find myself reaching for a handful of toothpicks and a stack of napkins. :D

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
Boy, that really looks good Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts