Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dale -

Are there a set of baseline settings I should be using for my boondocker. I'm installing it with one of your cams.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Thanks for the quick response Dale! I already installed the secondary and noticed much improved low end takeoff. I'm hoping to install the cam and primary weights and spring this weekend or next. It's Ok to take a few weeks to send the core back right?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Question

The box has settings for 2000, 4000, and 6000. Inside each of those menus I can set the L,M,H fuel adjustments. Should I

1. start with 6,8,14 in each of those menus (set all 3 numbers in each menu) or

2. should I just set 6 for L on the 2000 menu, 8 for M on the 4000 menu and 14 for H on the 6000 menu?

I'm not getting any lean popping as I have it set now...which is option 2

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I talked with boondocker on my settings and they told me that was a good start for the settings, but to remember that each rpm range blends with the other, for example at 2000 rpms your fuel setting will be half of the 2000 setting and half of the 4000 rpm setting. You should set those settings at 2000, 4000, and the 6000 rpm settings. Also screen 4, which is the acceleration setting, acts just like an accelerator pump when you stab the gas pedal.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Plugs look pretty good. Grayish tan on the electrode, but the other ring is getting some carbon / oil residue on it.

So are you adding fuel on your acceleration setting?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I am adding 5 on acc and duration at 10 engine revolutions. That means the fuel is added for 10 revolutions. Are you adding the bikeman cam?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Exactly, I added the Bikeman cam. I also changed to a red primary, 68 gram weights, Bikeman secondary, and SP ECU. So I'm still not exactly clear on your settings. At the adjustment screen for "2000" did you input a fuel setting for L, M, and H or just a setting for L?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

At 2000-----4-14-14
At 4000-----12-14-14
At 6000-----12-14-14
Acc---8, Dur---15.
Hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

It does help, but now I have another question!

Why are you running 4 for your low setting at 2000, then step it up to 12 at 4000 and 6000? Did you have an A/F guage to help with your settings, or have you done all your tuning by ear and plugs?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

hey hiatt!.. i could be wrong.... but those settings probably will not work with his application... and the reason being is, your running the bored throttle body which allows much more air... which takes more fuel..... as dale mentioned before.....

your 2000 should be 6 6 6
4000 8 8 8
6000 14 14 14

with his application...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Well I would post mine but are much higher. here they are any ways.
2000- 14 19 24
4000- 18 24 29
6000- 18 24 32

But rember I have a full 800 with many more mods.......Curt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

o.k... so maybe i'm wrong... but i just went out w/ mine set on 666 888 14 14 14... and she ran like a scalded dawg!!...... and i took somebody's advice on the 5 accel and 15 duration... and honestly... my bike has never ran like this... not even w/ the bikeman pipe.... (which i'm sure was never dialed in right)... but i did remove it... because of the area i live in... it's pretty loud.... but again.... i set mine to 666 888 14 14 14... and went back to my 62 gram weights... bm ecu, bm cam, boondockers,k&n, bm secondary, red primary... ... and she ran better than ever... i figured i would be slamming my rev limiter on acceleration.. but it's been great.......

so dale?????

which should it be?????? 666 888 14 14 14..... or should it be 6, 8, 14 on all 2000, 4000, and the 6000 rpm settings..... spell it out for us newbies!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

it runs good, but honestly I was hoping for more low end power out of the cam and secondary. I did a few straight line acceleration tests against a buddy with a stock 05 XP with the exact same tires as me. We were tied for the first 50 feet or so, then I would pull away and be 1-2 lengths ahead but 200 feet. This was on gravel and looking at the wheel spin...it looked like he had just as much takeoff as I did.

I'm hoping to fool around with it more this weekend.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

clayton... that's because your running rich... you need to adjust your settings.. to 6 6 6 / 8 8 8 / 14 14 14..... i got an email from dale today... that confirmed my earlier post.... change your settings and try it again..... but remember as well the 05's have a lower gear ratio..... but you should smoke em in the long run... but do yourself a favor and adjust the settings and go run it....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

The 05 and the 06 have the same gear ratio. It didn't change until the 07 models. I think clayton is also running too heavy of weights. Dale recommended 68gram weights for mine and i have the extra throttle bore and the 800 head along with stock tires. According to Dale, unless you peg the rev limiter off the line you don't need to go any higher on the weights.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Hiatt65 - Dale is the one who told me I needed the 68s. Do you hit your limiter at all with 68s?

DLIFY (dnotletitfoolya), what weights do you have? I'm assuming you are just running a BMP cam? I'll change my settings to the 6 6 6 / 8 8 8 / 14 14 14 and see how things go. I haven't yet had a chance to run it flat out to see if I hit the limiter or not.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I don't have the bikeman cam yet, its in the mail. But with everything i have, which is considerable too yours, Dale told me to run the 68's with stock tires and the bikeman cam. I would consider that to be a tad much with your application on top of 30" tires. Right now with the hotcam camshaft and everything else i have done, i am still not hitting the rev from takeoff with 62 gram weights. The bikeman cam and 68 gram weights are in the mail, and once installed i will keep you all informed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts