Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
SSW Senior Management
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got a 2011 RZR4 but I am confident this will apply to the 2011 RZR & RZRS too.

I purchased a Muzzy dual exhaust, a Dynojet PCV, and the auto-tune. I spent Friday evening and a portion of Saturday installing the Muzzy exhaust and was a little troubled by the lack of clearance between the headpipe and the injectors. But I know Muzzy makes a great system plus it had heat shields and a special insulator to protect the crankcase breather hose.

After finishing the exhaust I was anxious to hear it run but since I read Muzzy's warning of their exhaust likely causing a lean condition I decided to install the PCV and the autotune. Then I would be able to fire it up and watch it automatically adjust the AFR on my PC.

Well, the PCV was not going to happen. The electrical connections were not the same. At that point it dawned on me that the Polaris 11"s had changed their ignition firing and most likely the wiring and connections had also changed. So I boxed it up and decided to take the RZR4 for a spin promising myself that I would hold the RPM's down to avoid a lean state.

I took a short ride and was really enjoying the HP change and the throaty sound change the Muzzy offered. But after about fifteen minutes I noticed a different smoke instead of the new exhaust burn off I had been smelling.
I was almost back to the house so I garaged it and it is a good thing I did. In that short period of time the clearance issue I mentioned above had burnt the crankcase breather tube off (even though it was inside the special insulator Muzzy includes). As it cooked the breather tube it must have collapsed as I believe the crankcase pressure raised exceptionally high and blew the dipstick (along with most of the engine oil ) out and made a real mess all over the backseats and the engine compartment. It also fried the injector wiring and had almost burnt the fuel line off. The thought of burning through the fuel line was obviously on the edge of being catastrophic.

This AM I called the vendor in attempt to drill down where the mistakes were made. It looks like this will cost about $100 in injector components. I will have 25-30 hours of labor in installing the exhaust twice , repairing the injector system, and most of all cleaning all the oil mess off a new machine.

I am hoping the vendor/s recognize how close this was to a disaster and make it right.

Soooo, if you purchased an 11 be very careful buying accessories as I am not sure vendors and manufacturers have realized the changes from the 2010's.

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
Dang Neal , Thanks for bringing this to our attention - it could of gotten real ugly, quickly, had you ridden much longer. Very glad no one was hurt and that the extent of damage wasn't too bad. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
oneal said:
We got a 2011 RZR4 but I am confident this will apply to the 2011 RZR & RZRS too.Soooo, if you purchased an 11 be very careful buying accessories as I am not sure vendors and manufacturers have realized the changes from the 2010's.
It is very clear now that the 2011 models are changed in many, many subtle ways
but enough to create aftermarket problems such as this....
:shock:
DO YOUR HOMEWORK.....BEFORE you buy. :wink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts