Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
PRC & SSW Administrator
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2010/08/12/pkg.bikers.taunt.wrecked.cop.komo?hpt=T2

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
That's the kind of stupid crap that has a tendency to catch up with one sooner than later .... and justifiably so. They will catch those sorry a$$'s .... and you can bet that it won't feel good either.

·
SSW Support Staff
467 Posts
yes that is sad! But most states dont chase biker because somebody will get hurt and yes most of the time it is the motorcycle driver. Watch the video and the cop that is talking about the video camera say he dosen't chase bikers so why was the cop breaking the company rules and chasing them?

·
Registered
162 Posts
LOWES48 said:
yes that is sad! But most states dont chase biker because somebody will get hurt and yes most of the time it is the motorcycle driver. Watch the video and the cop that is talking about the video camera say he dosen't chase bikers so why was the cop breaking the company rules and chasing them?

No where in video did he say it was against thier rules!

·
PRC & SSW Administrator
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOWES48 said:
The officer talking said that HE didn't chase bikes. Like most departments, especially here in Michigan, most chases are left to officer discretion.

I was a police officer for 30 years and I have chased many bikes and cars. I always weighed in the circumstances in making my decision. First, what was the infraction? Where were we at...in an area where we have been hit hard by criminal activity? The traffic on the roads at the time, the road conditions, etc. In my opinion, the guy is always running for a reason...what is it? Did he just commit a serious felony or does he have a felony warrant on him for a violent crime?

If we stop chasing all bikes, what do you think the bad guys will drive when doing rapes, murders, etc? But all that aside, the point of the story is the scumbag idiots who taunted a seriously injured officer, instead of offering him possible life-saving assistance. This is an inapprehensible and senseless act that is undefendable from any level.

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
WOW :shock:. I agree with Rich......what comes around goes around.

I wonder how much taunting they would've been doing if the trooper wouldn't have swerved to miss them and just ran over their sorry butt instead?! :twisted:

·
Registered
511 Posts
I just sit back and wait. At some point I will get a call to scrape the motorcyclists a$$ up off the pavement with a stick and spoon, and just hope he didn't take someone else out with him. I occasionally chase one, If think I can catch him in traffic or keep up long enough to get help. My Crown Vic may only go a little over 120 mph, but my radio travels 186,000 miles per second. I loose a few, I win a few.

Our department's policy leaves up to us to chase or not to chase. We too do not have cameras due to budget. Of course we don't have a lot of other things too, that we need more, like several hundred more officers, but that is a whole other discussion. Most days we operate at "minimum staffing levels" or below.

We have two helicopters, the mayor will only let us fly one right now, and with very limited hours. When they are up, they are tremendous asset. We have stop sticks, but can't use them on vehicles with less than 4 tires. I for one refuse to give up and just sit by while the bad guys take over. I will go to work and try my best to enforce the laws, and try to catch the bad guys, with what I have to work with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts