Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have not done a good long smoke lately on the Big Green Egg. So I picked up a nice Packer Cut Brisket at the meat market today. The packer cut brisket is a whole, untrimmed brisket from the butcher shop. It contains both the Brisket Flat and the Brisket Point. The Flat is cooked to 185-190 degrees and sliced about 1/4" thick. The Point is removed from the flat when its pulled from the smoker at temp and placed back on the smoker until it reaches 195-200 degrees. This is then pulled/chopped for some Burnt End Sandwiches :)

14lb Packer Cut Brisket

Brisket Fresh out of the Cryovac Pack, The Fat is ready to trim

The Fat Cap is all trimmed up. I like to take the fat cap to between an 1/8 and a 1/4". This fat does not render into the meat during cooking. Therefore it is placed on the grill grate side during the cook. It helps protect the brisket

The opposite side of the brisket which is contains the brisket flat is all trimmed up too.

The brisket is all rubbed up and injected. It is now ready to wrap

The brisket is wrapped in plastic wrapped and will rest in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours

Around midnight, the Brisket will be pulled from the fridge and placed on the Big Green Egg at 250 degrees for 12 to 16 hours.

Now Its time to wait until the smoking begins....It just after 10 pm EDT and the Big Green Egg is coming up to temp.

I guess the results of the Brisket will be posted tommorrow :)

·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOWES48 said:
WHERE DO YOU LIVE AT? My wife loves her big green egg!
I live in Michigan.....My wife thought I was nutz when I spent more on a Charcoal grill than I spent on our Kitchen Range.....Then she tasted food from the Big Green Egg, she doesn't want food cooked on the stove anymore :mrgreen:

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Lookin good, but ya didnt tell us what the secret rub is 8)

·
PRC & SSW Administrator
4,302 Posts
I'm looking forward to the finish pics! I know I have grilled more this year already, just because you make stuff looks so good!

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
Steve did you eat the brisket before you took a picture :) , you have all of our hopes up.

·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have pics but had to make an emergency trip out to my sister-in-laws tonight so I could not get them posted. The brisket was awesome though. The flat cooked for 15 hours and the point cooked for 17 hours.

Pics will be up tommorrow :)

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
slane01 said:
I have pics but had to make an emergency trip out to my sister-in-laws tonight so I could not get them posted. The brisket was awesome though. The flat cooked for 15 hours and the point cooked for 17 hours.

Pics will be up tommorrow :)
Hoping everything is OK at your sister-in-laws Steve!! Looking forward to the brisket pics and write-up. 8) :D :wink:

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
Hope everything is alright. I have ate a hot dog now so I can bear to see the finished pictures.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts