Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya, this should be interesting to see. The shop that has it thinks the RZR S has better low end. I will find out if that is true tomorrow 8)

·
4,369 Posts
Well now we can get a real unbiased report on the performance.....we will all be eager to hear the results of the test ride.

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Re: I will be test driving a Can Am Tomorrow

carnivore said:
The shop that has it thinks the RZR S has better low end.
:shock: Wow, that would be surprising. Not that the RZR is a slouch, but with the Commander having that much HP, I would expect otherwise. I'm anxious to hear your opinion.

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
Curt, Have fun riding that thing, I bet it will have plenty of torque through the power band, it just not may be as quick as the "S" but it should be a climbing machine.

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I drove it.
It has fantastic seats and the seating position is real good. It has a glove box you could keep your kids in and the under bed storage is real nice.
I bet you want to hear about the fun stuff now 8) :lol:
I drag raced an RZR S, then I drove the S while they drove the Can Am.
In the first 200 feet the Can Am edged out the RZR by about a half a machine. In about 500 feet or so it was about 3 machine lengths ahead of the RZR S. The Commander has a steady torque to it, no real point where the powerband comes on real fast. I think possibly with some clutching changes it could have a better low end launch, but as it is its not that much quicker than the RZR S. If a person owns an S and was to do some mods like a cam, ECU, fuel controller and some clutching I believe it would beat the stock Commander. I think the RZR has better handling in the corners, the commander feels a bit top heavy, probably due to its much heavier weight and greater height. It definetly feels quite a bit larger than the S does, even though the S is actually a few inches wider.The Commanders rear end tends to kick loose in the corners and when hitting bumps at high speeds in a straight line. There is also a LOT of heat that radiates out of the shifter opening in the console. All in all its a nice machine, and with mods could be wicked, but if you own an RZR I wouldn't sell it to buy one.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Was that a 800 or 1000? I hope the 1000.

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
103 Posts
What did it get for top speed?

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
leimy said:
What did it get for top speed?
I was unable to get it to top speed where I was testing it. I did get it to 57 MPH at about 600-700 feet.

·
4,369 Posts
That is an interesting Review. I definitely do like the Ergonomics of the Can AM. It looks very comfortable and the storage looks cool too.

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
Thanks for the write up Curt, sounds like a impressive machine, but I'm not ready yet ready to dump my RZR for one.

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pops said:
Thanks for the write up Curt, sounds like a impressive machine, but I'm not ready yet ready to dump my RZR for one.
If I owned an RZR I would mod mine before dumping it myself.

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RZRRich said:
What were the wheel / tire sizes on this model Curt?
Bighorns, 14", I believe 26" tires

·
SSW Support Staff
467 Posts
carnivore said:
Well I drove it.
It has fantastic seats and the seating position is real good. It has a glove box you could keep your kids in and the under bed storage is real nice.
I bet you want to hear about the fun stuff now 8) :lol:
I drag raced an RZR S, then I drove the S while they drove the Can Am.
In the first 200 feet the Can Am edged out the RZR by about a half a machine. In about 500 feet or so it was about 3 machine lengths ahead of the RZR S. The Commander has a steady torque to it, no real point where the powerband comes on real fast. I think possibly with some clutching changes it could have a better low end launch, but as it is its not that much quicker than the RZR S. If a person owns an S and was to do some mods like a cam, ECU, fuel controller and some clutching I believe it would beat the stock Commander. I think the RZR has better handling in the corners, the commander feels a bit top heavy, probably due to its much heavier weight and greater height. It definetly feels quite a bit larger than the S does, even though the S is actually a few inches wider.The Commanders rear end tends to kick loose in the corners and when hitting bumps at high speeds in a straight line. There is also a LOT of heat that radiates out of the shifter opening in the console. All in all its a nice machine, and with mods could be wicked, but if you own an RZR I wouldn't sell it to buy one.
3 machine lengths in 500 feet is allot to overcome.

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
the commander feels a bit top heavy, probably due to its much heavier weight and greater height. It definetly feels quite a bit larger than the S does, even though the S is actually a few inches wider.
FYI, Weight comparsion:
Commander weighs 1297 lbs.
RZR weighs 945 lbs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
there is going to be can ams at the fisher atv world in patton this comming week to test ride ! aug 14 set up a test ride your self if i can make it i will do a write up for sure ! hope to see yall there !

1 - 20 of 33 Posts