Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend sent me this link of a ride we went on the last morning ride of our week long stay at Glamis Thanksgiving 2009. The wind blew the night before so it made for some smoth sand..... :)

Click on the link below
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrGrumpyWookiee

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Looks like another good day at the dunes!

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
Very nice job on the Vid !! Looked like a great morning for a ride, thanks for sharing that with us. :wink:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Dennis,
Been to Glamis once and stayed at gecko road. Is there a better less confined place to camp. Buttercup, Gordons ferry? At Gecko we ran out of room and half the camp was parked in the sand. Wind blew and washed out most of the tires making it a chore to get back on pavement. We are trying to schedule a trip to Glamis North KOA but would also like to plan a trip to the glamis sand. Thanks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brian,
During the busy weekends our group will usually go all the way to the Glamis store and then go south, to the right, all the way to wash #24. Easy on and off the new road to camping area's. We prefer this area due to congestion. On less busy weekends we will camp at wash 13-17. We do hear the trains go by from time to time but all in all a very pleasent place to camp and ride. I have gone to Gecko road but only on the off holiday/busy weekends of which are few. Where we ride the traffic is very low which adds to pleasant riding for all.
There are all sizes of dunes in this area. You are more than welcome to join us anytime. Right now we only have two more scheduled trips, next weekend and the following one. It starts getting too hot for day rides starting in May. After that we go on the weekends of the full moon for night rides.... lots of fun.

·
Registered
748 Posts
upnover said:
... We are trying to schedule a trip to Glamis North KOA but would also like to plan a trip to the glamis sand. Thanks.
I you may already know this but Glamis North KOA is not at Glamis. I made that mistake once and took everything with paddles mounted. I am glad I took trail tires also.

I also recommend Wash 24 on busy weekends our trip there with Dennis' group confirmed that. We also do Wash 13-17 on off weekends.

Glenn

·
Registered
147 Posts
Looking at the KOA website it looks like hard pack desert riding and a bit of a ride to the sand. Enjoy the sand more but we are looking at 8 - 10 day trip and the wife insists on full hookups. Considering half dry camping in the sand and the second half with hook-ups at the KOA( best of both worlds). It will be next year so will probable change a few more times between now and then. In the washes due you need four wheel drive to get in and out? We camp on the sand at Oceano Dunes but the sand there is wetter and relatively easy to pull the two wheel drivers in the group.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In the washes due you need four wheel drive to get in and out? We camp on the sand at Oceano Dunes but the sand there is wetter and relatively easy to pull the two wheel drivers in the group.[/quote]

Four wheel drive is always for the best but is not manditory. When I do not bring the 5th wheeler I use my 1/2 ton Chevy.
When we go for Thanksgiving and New Years which is a full week at a time, we can go the the full week without service..... On occassion we have required the service of the "poop wagon" which will come to your camp site and remove gray and black water and also fill fresh water for $50. Not bad.....

·
Registered
147 Posts
In the past on long trips we have also used the "poop wagon", nice service and resonable priced. We are good for 7 - 9 days but the wife gets crabby by day five without here hour long hot shower, women :lol: .
I do have a 55 gallon water buffalo that I use on occasion, is there potable water close by?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Your idea of a 1/2 dry and 1/2 full hook ups is an excellent way to go. We went to NG KOA last year a couple of times and always enjoyed it. They should have all the new pools, spas, etc. finished last year they were under construction.

As far as 4 wheel drive I have gotten easily into washes as far south as 24 with my motor home pulling a 24 ft toy trailer. I have been more nervous about getting stuck in the Buttercup area, Hot Well Dunes, and Cinder Hills than in the washes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts