Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
SSW Support Staff
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you know who has the worlds biggest oil supply? The US! Where in Noth Dakota called the Bakken oil supply. The Bakken estimates the oil supply at 503 billion barrels of oil. So why are we paying 3 dollers a gallon for gas?

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
LOWES48 said:
So why are we paying 3 dollers a gallon for gas?
That's a good question. :?

·
4,369 Posts
Politics as usual.....there are also very large deposits of oil in the Tar Sands in Canada.

We need to tap the oil in North Dakota. I don't understand why there is not a plan to do that.....Oh I forgot, burning fossil fuels will further contribute to greenhouse gases and global warming. That must be it.

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
The only reason that I can think of is that we are saving those as a "last resort". But that's probably way too simple of an explanation and there is probably some dark ulterior motive or incredibly stupid reason we're not tapping that already. :?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well if you're into conspiracy theories some say the long-range plan is to pay more now until the middle east oil supplies are gone while pretending our oil is too expensive or environmentally damaging to obtain. THEN we drill the north slope, Bakken, etc and the Big Oil companies get to charge whatever price they want--we'll be the prime source of oil in the world!
<evil laugh...wringing hands>

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
That doesn't really sound all that farfetched. :roll:

·
SSW Support Staff
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes... but the only problem with this is who will be getting rich? not me! We could have 1 dollar gas and the country would take off again.

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Oh, I completely agree. I think we all know who would get rich from that.....the same oil barons that always have. I've done quite a bit of reading on how the supply and demand game is played to keep oil prices up. It seems about as crooked as you can get without being officially "illegal". It has the stench of a monopoly all over it. .

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would do more traveling and buy more stuff if fuel prices weren't so high. If diesel wasn't almost $3 per gallon, I wouldn't have any trouble affording to drive to Silver Lake.

·
Registered
86 Posts
commanderjjones said:
That doesn't really sound all that farfetched. :roll:
For sure. I really don't think the environmentalists have the clout to stop exploration and drilling in remote wilderness areas. There's enormous oil fields there that Big Oil will go after when it suits them and no tree huggers are going to stop them.

The US is sucking the middle east dry in the same way that we outspent the USSR until it caved in. I wonder how much of the hate directed at the US is really self-hate at not being able to stop this plan, due to their own greed?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Out here in the California Kern oil patch it seems to be the refining that is so expensive. Plenty of crude but nowhere to refine it. Enviromentalists have made it next to impossible to operate a refinery. We have two refineries that sit idle because it is not cost effective to operate under the newer, stricter California Air Resource Board guidlines.

·
4,369 Posts
It is pretty sad, we make all of these regulations to make the refinery so expensive, which essentially raises our price of oil. It is definitely a big game where the rich get richer. The speculators artifically drive up the price of oil. There is definitley appears to be a monopoly on it.

I would prefer to drill now and create affordable fuel for all. It really sucks when you have to factor the cost of fuel into your travel plans now days.

I ended up selling my 31ft Fleetwood Tioga Motorhome when gas peaked at $4.00 a gallon. I really hated to see it go, but couldn't afford to drive it.

Oh Well, that is the way things go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts