Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father in law is 62 years old and has been very healthy and active his entire life. However, the past couple of weeks he has been sick, and really not caring or able to get out of bed for any duration of time. He had been on antibiotic treatment from the family doctor, but was not getting better.

On Friday he went into the hospital and got admitted. After a myriad of tests they had found a tumor on his femur about the size of his hand, and also about 25 nodules in his lungs.

We got the possible news yesterday at about 11:30 am that it could be cancer....The Oncologist confirmed that today.

My wife & my family were in Floriday yesterday for my nieces wedding. Needless to say, we left Florida at 1:45 PM yesterday and drove straight back to Michigan and arrived back at 10:30 this morning so my Wife could be with her Mother and her father as our family begins to cope with this news.

We have been told that the Cancer is Inoperable and will require radiation and Chemo. However the whole plan of action has not been worked out yet. The Oncologist at Beaumont Hospital is also seeking a second opinion from a team of doctors at the Karmonos Cancer Institute in Detroit.

Anywways, I am a firm Believer in the Power of Prayer, and would definitely like to ask the SSW community to keep my Father-in-Law Larry and our family in your prayers.

Thanks Again
Sincerely
Steve Lane

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
Prayers heading to you and your family Steve.

·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really appreciate all of the kind words and prayers from the SSW Community.

I have started a Caring Bridge website for my father-in-law (my mother-in-law will do most of the website updates)

It is located at the link below:

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/larrydurkin

It would be really cool, if some of the SSW members would be willing to take the time and sign the guestbook on Caring Bridge for my father-in-law and wish him Well from SSW.

To Date, he has been diagnosed with a Sarcoma cancer that has originated in his femur right above his knee. It looks like it has also spread to his lungs. His body scan has not shown any cancer in his other organs and his bone scan has shown two additional spots that may or may not be cancer which is located by his ribs.

He is scheduled to be released from the hospital that he is in tommorrow and will be transported to another hospital to get a biopsy of the Sarcoma on his femur. In addition they also hope to do, or schedule a PET scan to see what other cells are cancerous in his body.

Once the Biopsy is complete, the slides will be sent to the Karmanos Cancer Center in Detroit. The Cancer team there will begin to workout the course of treatment.

Larry has been told that he can no longer put full body weight on his leg, and now has to walk with a cane or walker. The femur has detiorated to a point where it could break if it is subjected to his full body weight (he only weighs 195 lbs).

We have a long road ahead of us and can use all of the support we can get.

Thanks Again

Steve Lane & Family

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
slane01 said:
It would be really cool, if some of the SSW members would be willing to take the time and sign the guestbook on Caring Bridge for my father-in-law and wish him Well from SSW.
Will do, buddy. :wink:

·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate all the support from the SSW Community. It means a tremendous amount to my family. It really means alot when I can see my mother and father in law read about people praying for them that don't even know them personally.

For that, I will always offer my most sincerest thank you.

My Father-in-law is out of the hospital and at home for the next for days before they complete a biopsy of his cancer. There was some slight discussion that it could even be Lymphoma, but is still most likely the Sarcoma.

Once the Biopsy's are done, the treatment protocol will be established.

Thanks Again everyone
Sincerely
Steve

·
PRC & SSW Administrator
4,302 Posts
slane01 said:
I appreciate all the support from the SSW Community. It means a tremendous amount to my family. It really means alot when I can see my mother and father in law read about people praying for them that don't even know them personally.

For that, I will always offer my most sincerest thank you.

My Father-in-law is out of the hospital and at home for the next for days before they complete a biopsy of his cancer. There was some slight discussion that it could even be Lymphoma, but is still most likely the Sarcoma.

Once the Biopsy's are done, the treatment protocol will be established.

Thanks Again everyone
Sincerely
Steve
You are very welcome Steve. Prayers will continue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts