Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
SSW Support Staff
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will you still go riding? Hunting, Fishing, Camping, etc? How high will it get before u you stop going places?

·
PRC & SSW Administrator
4,302 Posts
I won't be traveling out of State to ride at those prices. It will definitely affect how much and how far I ride.

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
I try not to think about it. I fill up my diesel 3-4 times a week :shock: :? :roll:

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
carnivore said:
I try not to think about it. I fill up my diesel 3-4 times a week :shock: :? :roll:
:shock: OUCH! I "only" use about 1 1/2 tanks a week and even that is enough :x .

Fuel costs like that will definitely put a damper on my out-of-state trips that I had planned and hoped for. I'm lucky that I don't have to go too far for some good riding, but it's always nice to try new places and explore. Even at the current cost of $3.77, it will make me stay local more than usual......but I'll still be riding :D 8) .

·
Registered
42 Posts
If deisel gets above $4 a gal, it may put a stop to our summer Colorado trip and cause us to look closer for riding. I don't want to think about it now, I may get depressed. Nothing beats drinking "Colorado KoolAid" in the "mile highs"... :D It sure is a good break from the Texas heat and the kids are amazed to see snow in July :shock: ...

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
dunny96 said:
.......and the kids are amazed to see snow in July :shock: ...
So would I! 8)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Here in central California we are already over $4 per gallon on diesel and real close on gasoline. Definently have to sharpen the pencil and plan our trips better (cheaper). It wasn't all that long ago that we crested $2 a gallon and everyone here started saying they wern't going anymore and then we heard it again at $3 per gallon. I think $4 might be the breaking point for most of us. My spur of the moment trips will most likely come to a stop but our yearly trips we will still make, just have to have a hottdog with my "Colorado KoolAid" rather than a steak.

·
Registered
490 Posts
To be honest, it is not going to stop me from riding! But I really only ride about two weekends out of the month, so it's really not that bad for me. Just hurts the wallet filling up the truck to tow the trailer.... OUCH!!!

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
We just drive the wifes car (Fusion) whenever possible (32mpg). I don't put that many miles on the 7.3 anymore other than for work and they pay for most of the fuel for it. I'll still make trips with the 7.3 with the RZR in tow - I can't give that up.

·
4,369 Posts
Well, if Gas hit 5 a Gallon, it will definitley put a damper in some of the discretionary spending....I just bought a 2006 Duramax extended cab. It was getting really poor fuel economy. However, $2800 later at the dealership and it is doing much better...EGR replacement, new Glow Plugs, Reflash and Update of ECM, Injector Cleaning, Upper and Lower Trans Cooling line replacement and a few other things....(I knew the truck needed some work when I bought it, so the purchase price was definitely right enough to accomodate the repair bills)

However, it now seems to be running around 20 on the xpress way and 16 in town. Much better than the 11 that I was seeing before.

I travel about 125 miles per day for work so the higher the price at the pump = less disposable income. However, I will still likely do one decent trip this year, and will be more likely to do more short trips within my state.

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
How many miles are on your Duramax? I'm getting an average of 19 MPG with my 06 crew cab. I run Optilube XPD additive and that gets me about 2 MPG and its the #1 rated lubricant for the injection system which is important with the new diesel fuels. I'm going to lose the EGR and DPF, and get a Cat back MBRP exhaust. I already have an Edge CTS Fuel programmer, I'm real impressed with it.

·
4,369 Posts
carnivore said:
How many miles are on your Duramax? I'm getting an average of 19 MPG with my 06 crew cab. I run Optilube XPD additive and that gets me about 2 MPG and its the #1 rated lubricant for the injection system which is important with the new diesel fuels. I'm going to lose the EGR and DPF, and get a Cat back MBRP exhaust. I already have an Edge CTS Fuel programmer, I'm real impressed with it.
It has got 141,000 miles on it. I had considered losing the EGR, however, I figured I would get the truck back in stock running condition and see how it runs out. I got a great deal on the truck since it was my Father-in-laws, who past away in December. I bought the Truck for the payoff on the loan, knowing that It needed all of the normal maintenance items such as tires, brakes, all fluids in all gearcases changed, etc, in addition to some of the Glow Plug Issues. Overall I now have about $10K in the truck, which is still a steal, plus I own it without a payment.

I will definitely check out the Optilube XPD additive, that is some very good advice. I have not seen that yet. I have debated on going with a programmer or not. My buddy also has an Edge that he is happy with. I don't really need it for towing, as the only thing I really tow is my Ranger but I am all about gaining fuel economy.

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
10 Grand? That is a great deal! The Opti Lube is available only on the web, I order it by the gallon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts