Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SSW Support Staff
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guys use a synthetic winch rope? I just ordered one last night. Curious on how it will work out.

·
4,369 Posts
I don't have a winch on this Ranger....I did not like the steel cable on my Warn on the last Ranger I had. I would definitely go with Synthetic to replace a worn cable.

However, be sure to also replace your fairlead with an aluminum fairlead that is designed for the synthetic rope. The Steel fairleads used with the steel cables will kill your rope.

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
Yeap, I'm running a Viper w/Amsteel synthetic cable - braided steel cable is quickly going the way of ancient technology, especially on todays lighter UTV's. Like Steve said - run a aluminium fairlead - the roller fairlead will chew up the Amsteel synthetic cable quickly.

·
SSW Support Staff
349 Posts
Ive been using the rope for about 4 years now with now issues at all!

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
I don't have it on the Ranger (yet), but have used it in the past and it's the shizzle. When my winch cable gets worn enough to justify replacement, it will definitely be upgraded to Amsteel. Of course, I try to not use the winch.......so it might be a while before mine needs replacing. 8)

·
Registered
249 Posts
winch

I still have the steel cable on my Warn,but will change to a syn.rope when I need a new one.They are alot safer and user friendly
dlineman1 prc9756 sxs480

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ian, I've had it on the spool for over a year. I really like the safety aspect of it over cable. I broke the first rope when it slipped off of the block wheel and pinched itself in the device under an overload pull. :oops:
The sythentic fell limp in less than 5 feet. The winch saver ball fell directly to the ground instead of slingshotting dangerously.
Another plus is that it can be repaired on the trail like a ski rope with simple tools.
http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-repair-maintenance/3003-how-repair-synthetic-winch-cable.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a synthetic line on our Jeep winch and have used it several times with no problems. When it finally wears out I will get another.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts