Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right guys, let's hear some of your jerky recipes. I like to try new ones or occasionally tweak my own using ideas from others' ingredients.

Here's my recipe for using ground meat. I like using ground because it's not quite so chewy and I don't have to go through the trouble of thin slicing it. Nothing fancy or complicated, but it sure tastes good.

-----5# ground venison.......If you substitute ground beef, just make sure it' EXTRA LEAN. Excessive fats will make the jerky go rancid after a few days at room temp's.
-----1 1/2 oz. brown gravy mix
-----1 cup Dale's Seasoning
-----1 cup brown sugar (use 1/2 cup for less sweet jerky......this would be what I consider "medium" on the sweet scale)
-----4 tbsp Tabasco (even if you don't like it spicey, don't omit this or flavor will be sacrificed.....the oil in it also helps texture after drying)
-----4 tbsp Liquid Smoke (I like hickory.....you can omit if smoking)
-----1/8 cup salt
-----1/8 cup black pepper (preferably fresh ground)
-----1/8 cup crushed red pepper (omit for less spice or double for very hot.....this amount will yield what I consider "medium" on the heat scale......my kids can still eat it)

If dehydrating, add 1 ounce of jerky cure unless you plan to eat it all within 3 or 4 days, or you can store in the freezer and use as desired. Use a jerky shooter to quirt strips or tubes on tray and dehydrate for 4 to 8 hours (depending on fat and water content).

Or use the smoker and you can omit the Liquid Smoke if you like.

Enjoy! :D

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Now I'm hungry again :roll: 8) :lol:

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
Thank's for the recipe Jerry, I have been eating jerky for years and always want to make some. I guess now it's time to attempt this.

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pops said:
I guess now it's time to attempt this.
Don't be skeered :lol: . Seriously though, there's nothing to it and most folks already have those ingredients in their pantries. Let me know how you like it. :wink:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Doc's Best Beef Jerky
Ingredients
• 2 pounds beef round steak, cut into thin strips
• 1/4 cup soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 teaspoon meat tenderizer
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 1 teaspoon paprika
Directions
1. Place beef strips in the bottom of a large bowl. Pour soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, brown sugar, salt, pepper, meat tenderizer, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika over beef. Mix to assure all the meat is evenly coated. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
2. Remove meat from bowl and place between two pieces of plastic wrap; pound to 1/8-inch thickness.
3. Arrange the meat strips on the tray of a dehydrator and dry at your dehydrator's highest setting until done to your liking, at least 4 hours. Store in an airtight container or resealable bags.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.