Side X Side World Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TR-54 safety inspection form ( to be performed by a Police Officer ) for the state of Michigan, also shows the requirements to convert a SUV to be street legal in the state of Michigan.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/TR-54_38480_7.pdf

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Great info Rich!
Maybe we can get some of our other members to post info from their states on how to do this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
The process is easy in Kansas. Take your machine to the local county treasurer and you get a quick answer...No! It doesn't matter what you do. If the title says Off Road, that's it.

Actually the legislature is considering a bill that would make make it possible but it's not getting very far.

·
SSW Support Staff
110 Posts
I have been involved with the street legalizing of 5 UTVs so far and am in the process of setting my crew up now.
It is a costly process to do it right for Michigan but it can really pay off in riding area.

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
In Michigan how do you get around "Off Road Only" clause on the title. I would love to make my UTVs street legal here, but haven't found a way to get around the clause. It's fairly easy to get it inspected, just can't get the tags.

·
SSW Support Staff
110 Posts
Once you get your safety inspection and the form filled out the Secretary of States office will re-title you as an Assembled Pick Up. They use your current 17 digit vin number but change it from a Ranger to Assem. Pick Up. this is how the state gets you past the off road only. Some offices try to make you get a state assigned vin but you need to push them to call the State main office. They do not need to reassign a new vin since you already have a valid 17 digit one from the factory. Also if you let them push you into a state assigned vin you may have trouble getting insurance.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have mine street legal and can say if it has the orginal vin # you will have more trouble getting Insurance because old vin # will pull up Polaris more than a new vin# would and the Insurance companys I have had tried with they won't insure it on the road because of Polaris having not for street legal use on title.
So new vin or old vin is the same thing to me, I believe the problem is with the main title from Polaris.
The whole thing if you want no trouble from Insurance company don't tell them its a Polaris.. :roll: But you want to make sure it's covered so you have to make sure you have the proper coverage. :wink:

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A lot of additional "Good info" popping up here fella's - thanks for the follow-up !! :D :wink:

·
SSW Support Staff
110 Posts
Right now the only insurance company that is insuring them properly I.E. covering them knowing they are UTVs that have been made road legal is State Farm. Not saying there are not more out there but so far they are the only ones I personally have found.

The vin is and issue with insurance as well as with financing but the amount of issues seems to vary on location. Some people have no issue either way. Personally I had issues with idea of the state vin and when I checked insurance it was an issue for them as well.
I do know if you are financed and change the vin you will need the financiers permission to change the Vin on the note. The financing Polaris uses will not allow that. Some friends of mine ran into that issue and had to refinance their Ranger to get it done.

I do not claim to be the utmost authority on the conversion. I am just stating the facts as I have seen them in the past conversions I have done.

If we could get the same rights as the snowmobilers we would not even need to mess with this conversion at all. Now that would be a great thing!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts