Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Assistant Administrator
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the opportunity recently to try a new product from EZ-Pull that Larry sent to me and the following is the photos from that install. I will have to say that this is a high quality product and the workmanship is first rate. No Chinese or Mexican cheap crap here, just good ingenuity and excellent quality.

The product is the EZ- Pull Grab Bar and is a RZR like grab bar that will make the passenger more secure feeling and give them something to hang onto in difficult trail situations. Heck, I even found myself pulling myself into the Ranger with it although that is not the primary intention of it!! This product is plenty sturdy and solidly mounted enough for any kind of use. My wife’s first comment was “wow, that is not wobbly at all”!!

So, let’s get started on the installation. The first thing you need to do is raise the hood and look on the passenger side at the frame piece under the hood. This is the piece in this picture that I have some wiring tied to. If your particular model has a terminal block mounted here, you will need to remove it and remount it later. Mine did not have this terminal strip here.

One of my concerns initially was that this was not going to work in my situation because of the Rangerware heater I have. If you will notice in this picture, it is the duct hose just over the top of the metal piece where you end up mounting the Grab Bar.

The Grab Bar comes with well written installation instructions and pictures and there are only two parts to put together to form the unit.

The next thing to do is to remover the rear hinge bolts. Here is a hint, DON’T have the hood raised during this part. It makes things a lot harder by placing the bolts in a bind. Yes, I know that for a reason!!!

Once the bolts are removed, you carefully place this template under the hinge and place the bolts through the holes and snug the hinge down. Be careful because it is just plastic.

Now, carefully fold down this template to match your dash. Make sure and use both hands for an accurate fold.

Next, carefully mark the opening with a sharpie and then you can remove this template and reinstall the bolts. The instructions say to use a sharp utility knife to cut out this opening along the outside of the marks. Now, unless you are a lot better than me or have softer plastic on the dash, this ain’t happening!!! A Dremel tool would be perfect but since we are finishing up our garage and have everything packed up, I couldn’t find mine!!! So, plan B called for drilling a bunch of smaller holes inside the marked area and then trimming with the utility knife and smoothing with a file. Just make sure you have nothing in the way on the backside before trying this.

Now, at this point, you check with the QA/Supervisor to make sure everything is going according to plan!!

The next step is to do a test fit to see if you have removed enough plastic. Ensure that no plastic is touching the bar to prevent squeaking later on.

Now, bolt the top hole down to the metal support brace under the hood. I used an impact driver to make sure it was very snug.

Once the top bolt is tight, then you will need to drill the hole for the bottom bolt. I drilled with the bar in place, just placed drill bit through the bottom hole.

Now, once both bolts are tight, you are ready to move onto the assembly of the actual hand hold to the down tube. There are two locator dowel pins here and they are a very tight fit for precise alignment. I used a rubber dead blow hammer to “persuade” the upper part to join the party!!! This is the way it is supposed to fit though, very tight. Now, you can bolt it down with the single allen bolt to secure it.

Now, you are ready for final QC inspection and then you can stand back and admire your work!!

This is another fine, quality part from E-Z Pull and should prove valuable on the trails. We are very fortunate to have someone like Larry as a sponsor on PRC and I can highly recommend this new product. It should be available for purchase soon. Thanks Larry for producing another fine product.

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
Nice write-up Bruce - looks to be a very nice product and a useful addition to your machine. Did the QC Supervisor 8) sign off on the final approval ? :D :wink:

·
Assistant Administrator
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It didn't affect her DS game or the taste of her strawberry smoothie so it passed the QC test!! :lol:

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
Nice job Bruce, great write-up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts