New Truck | Side X Side World

New Truck

Discussion in 'General Member Discussions' started by slane01, Jun 14, 2015.

1. slane01

slane01 Moderator Staff Member

On my last 2 trips to TN, I had issues with my 2006 Duramax. The first trip was towing an 8000 lb load and the truck went into Limp Mode.

Took it to dealer and the indicated that it was low fuel rail pressure and advised changing fuel filter (I changed filter the day before the trip) so I did at a cost of $386 at the dealership.

The truck ran fine for another 2 hours and then did it again....it reset itself once cooled down.

The following weekend the truck ran fine until I shut it off. At that time the fuel system lost prime when it was hot. Most likely suckling air thru the filter head.

Based on having close to 300,000 miles on the truck and approaching the point to need an injector swap to the tune of $5000 plus a new injector pump and fuel lines at close to another $2500, I opted to trade the truck in.

I figured I don't routinely tow more that about 5000 lbs so I went with a half ton truck.

I picked up a 2015 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab truck with the 5.3 motor and 3.43 rear end which has a rated towing capacity of 9200 lbs.

it sure is different going back to a half ton truck since my last 2 have been 3/4 ton trucks. However, this rides awesome. As an added bonus I was able to install my truck toolbox that has been in my barn for 5 years.

20150613_163806.jpg

2. carnivore

carnivore Registered Member

That's a good looking truck!

3. Seastacker

Seastacker Regular Member

Nice looking truck! When the time comes, I will also be going back to a half ton truck. I love the 3/4 ton and Diesel power ('01 7.3L F-250), but it is not going to be practical to replace the one I have to the tune of $65k plus considering I rarely tow major weight. I have to say, I love the way the new half ton trucks drive and ride compared to my old F-250. In terms of Diesel power….maybe Ford will have a Diesel in the F-150 by then….:).

4. pwm

pwm Assistant SSW Rally/Event Director Staff Member

Good looking truck

5. slane01

I can definitely understand the cost difference with the diesel. With my GM employee discounts, I could have gotten into a new duramax for about $49k. However, I opted for the 1/2 which was about $37k with my discounts And rebates.

I do love the diesel, but I could not justify it since I don't need to tow anything heavy.

We are planning for a class A diesel pusher RV next year, that will be my camper and toe rig :)

6. Gary Lenon

Gary Lenon PRC & SSW Administrator

Like the new truck Steve!

7. commanderjjones

commanderjjones SSW Rally/Event Director

I like it. I bet it rides like a dream after having driven a 3/4 ton for 300k.

My old '99 7.3 has over 350k and I put new injectors in it last spring, so maybe it'll go another 350k.:)

8. carnivore

carnivore Registered Member

Yeah, because the injectors are the limiting factor...........:D:)

9. commanderjjones

commanderjjones SSW Rally/Event Director

Unfortunately, I already know what the next major rebuild will be. The rear axle is starting to get some excessive play.

10. slane01

Yeah, the truck does drive like a dream compared to the old one....however it doesn't tow like the old one. I do miss the diesel in that regard.

11. darcydw

darcydw Regular Member

That is a nice looking truck. I bet you will like the gas more than you think. We went from a 2004 Dodge 3500 with the 5.9 L Cummins to a Ram 2500 with the 6.4 L gas. I was very worried this would be a mistake in terms of fuel economy and pulling power. The new engine has a bit less towing power and is a bit harder on fuel (maybe 15% at most). However, we can buy one heck of a lot of gas with the $12,000 difference in purchase price and the really steep repair costs associated with injectors and the like. We are also really impressed how fast the new truck warms up in the winter (the Cummins really did not warm up in cold weather). I wonder if we could have gotten away with a half ton instead, especially for the the ride quality. Our fifth wheel is right on the bubble for putting too much weight on the rear axle of the half tons so I went with being safe.

Enjoy your new truck.

12. allen2398

allen2398 Starting Member

this is looking cool specially its colour is good, [​IMG]
    what about mine? Its ram truck which i use for Roadside Assistance Services, its very powerful and reliable for towing.