Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 ranger 500 carb that has recently started ideling funny. i have adjusted the knob on cable but it seems to just go to high or too low. I saw another knob on the bottom of the carb but was afraid to turn it thinking it was an air fuel adjuster and didnt want to make anytthing worse. does anyone know the procedure for a carb adjustment. thanks..

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Welcome to SSW, Donnie :) .

I'm not an authority on the carb'd models, but hopefully somebody else will chime in shortly.

·
SSW Sponsor
47 Posts
Welcome.

I am no expert but the problem you are experiencing could be fuel related. A local PS dealer whom I do business with told me that he see's a lot of problems related to fuel and more specifically ethanol blends like E10.

People use the ATV / Boat / Jet Ski infrequently (not everyday) and they after time start to experience performance related issues. Ethanol will absorb moisture and if the fuel it not used rapidly, the ethanol and water can separate from the gasoline and form deposits. Once the separation occurs it can not be corrected and the complete fuel system may have to be torn down and cleaned. If you store gasoline in containers for later use the moisture can find it way into those tanks and start to degrade the fuel. Ethanol blending fuels have a shelf life of about 90 days but in high humidity can start to deteriorate sooner, so don't store more gas than you can use in a few weeks or less.

AMSOIL recently came out with a product called Quickshot SE specifically for small engines that address's some of these concerns. Its a combination fuel system cleaner and short term fuel stabilizer. I have had a few customers claim it has woken up their sick lawn mowers, motorcycles and at least one ATV that were running poorly. A good friend had many problems with her Jet Ski stalling out, idling rough and bogging down. She spend a chunk of $$ have a local shop tune it up and it still stalled on her. I gave her a bottle of the fuel system treatment linked below and she said within 15 min the jet ski was running better and after an hour or two use it was running like a new machine.

Quickshot SE Fuel Treatment

PS-You can order directly from that link

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
Donnie, Welcome to the SSW. My first thought is that the carb needs a good cleaning. Over time the carbs small orifices/passageways will become tarnished/gummed up from fuel deposits left behind when fuel evaporation takes place. Today’s fuels are infamous for that and the idle circuits are usually the first to be affected. I would put any adjustments that you moved back to factory settings and try the "Quickshot SE Fuel Treatment" that Mike (Z15) has/sells, but be forewarned, you may very well have to pull the carb off and do some minor disassembly to clean it properly. Keep us posted on what you come up with bud.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.