Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just rebuilt the trans in my 2002 series 10 ranger. It works fine, but is very noisy in high range. Low and reverse are quite. Did I miss something. I replaced everything I saw that was worn or bad. Need earplugs in high range :(

·
Registered
191 Posts
Is it transmission noise or is it clutch noise? If it is in the transmission it could be a number of things, it could be that there is something not lined up correctly or not enough oil... The clutches may not be aligned, any time you have the transmission out you should check to make sure your clutches are perfectly aligned afterwards or you will end up with issues. Another thing to check is the drive lines to make sure that nothing is interfering with them. Worse case scenario is you pull it apart again :cry: I think I split mine three times before I put it back in just to make sure everything was aligned until it all slid back together butter smooth.

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Welcome to SSW, Tom. Thanks for joining us. :)

I'm not sure how many components that you replaced, but my experience with these trannys tells me that the silent chains and the pinion bearing are typically the first things to wear out. If you didn't replace those, then that would be my guess.

I have tranny rebuild videos on here http://www.sidexsideworld.com/viewtopic.php?t=24653 , but it sounds like you don't need those since you've already completed the job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Wow you guys really watch this forum, thanks for the quick replies. I did replace the silent chains, and needle bearing, and pinion bearing. Just puzzeled why it is noisy in high range only. I am using Polaris oil in all gearboxes and the tranny, so that is all correct. Have you all found any oil that is better? Gonna have to do something, cause the wifey is not a happy camper with that much noise. :evil:

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
I overfill mine by about 4 ounces (through the vent tube) and that helps silence it some, but don't expect miracles.

I don't recommend running a much heavier oil, as that's likely to wear things quicker.

Ryan might be right.......it may be clutch noise if it's noticeably louder than it previously was. But my experience with the clutch alignment is that it really didn't make noise unless it was horribly out of alignment........but it will eat a belt quickly if it's not properly aligned.

One other thought......are you certain that you got that little thrust button back into the case? I've had issues with those wanting to fall out during assembly and usually put a dab of grease on it to hold it in place while I put the cases together.

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Re: Thanks

hasbeen10 said:
Wow you guys really watch this forum, thanks for the quick replies.
We do our best :lol: ........and you're welcome. :wink:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh oh

Commander may have hit on it. A friend had the ranger first and took the tranny apart and must have lost the button cause I Didn't see it when I took it apart
I didn't know about it till you guys mentioned it. Looks like tear down time again
thanks

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
If it's missing, I'll bet that's the root of the problem. It's obviously in there for a purpose. I'd say without the tension that it provides, the pinon alignment can shift......and that might make quite a racket.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My next build is a 94 Xcab ranger with a tube bed, shortened wb, undecided motor, manual trans and dual tcases. The "blog" build is a 96 xcab, no frame/chassis...

SVT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts