Side X Side World Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I had moved into my house, my pond had a pretty bad leak. It would always seem to loose water at a pretty fast rate. Well last spring, I discovered water bubbling up in my Drainage ditch. Luckily the water contained my pond dye color. Therefore I knew my pond water was running into the drainage ditch.

After doing a fair amount of looking, I had figured the general area of where I thought the water path was from the pond to the drainage ditch.

I had talked to a Pond guy who had suggested that we bring a backhoe out and dig a trench across the area that I suspected the leak in. This trench would disrupt the waterway and likely stop the leak.

I thought this sounded great, until he gave me the $1600 estimate to do the work. I thought I was getting ripped off. Therefore I figured I would see what the good ole John Deere Could do.

My tractor is a JD4300, 32HP compact 4x4 tractor. It is a nice tractor, but not real big.

The Ground contained alot of Clay, but suprisingly enough, I was able to slowly start digging a trench slightly wider than the tractor width about 50 feet long and 6ft deep a the deepest point.

It took about 3 hours of digging, but I did find an old underwater clay farm tile running from my pond to the drainage ditch. As soon as I broke the tile, the leak stopped.

However, once I broke the tile, I had a heck of an inrush of water which turned the trench into a clay mudpit. needless to say I buried my tractor and had to get resuced by my neighbors Big John Deere (good thing mine was a JD too...he said if it was a Kubota he would have filled the hole with my tractor :shock: ).

All and all, it was successful. I just needed to replace two axle seals on the JD that were destroyed by the clay. But defnitely cheaper than paying the pond guy. Plus playing on the JD is kind of like playing on the Ranger :D

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
If you had filled it with mud we could of had a good party!

·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
carnivore said:
If you had filled it with mud we could of had a good party!
I could have Kept digging the trench and had my own back yard mud Bog LOL. The funny thing is, the thought crossed my mind (However, I would have had some explaining to do for the better half)

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
Did the trench every dry back up once you filled it back in?

·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pops said:
Did the trench every dry back up once you filled it back in?
Not totally it is still somwhat of a wet trench. It is a platted drainage runoff for the entire parcel that our subdivision is on. It was used as a Farm Drain on the original parcel of land before it was developed into a subdivision. There are some other underground tiles that do dump water in there. The Farm drain eventually loops back over to a swamp/creek area, but that is probably 20+ acres away.

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
I was wondering, I dug a trench line that in Texas one time, to fix a waterline that the orginal developers installed. It was about 8' down, abd about 30 ft long but the time I found the leak. Fixed the leak checked for leaks, filled back in with sand and some of the orginal dirt. I lived there for about 6 more years and the trench never got hard again, it was a pain tring to mow the area during the rainy season, and down there it was most of the summer.

·
Registered
170 Posts
STEVE i to dug my 10ft tall water fountain with my bobcat and tured out great its amazing what a machine can and will do when called upon!!!

·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John,

That looks Great...I love playing on the Tractor, kind of like playing on the Ranger....of course I just wish it was a bigger tractor :mrgreen: Biggers better :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
IT was a very taughting task and the WIFEEE said i was crazy but i wanted to here the sound of a huge water fall crashing when we were in the pool,however now you cant hardly hear each other talking the pump in that beast pumps 850 gallons per minute and the swath across the top is a 3x5 piece of durarock with the 5ft part having the water run over it due to i could not get my bobcat bucket to adjust the huge rock for proper run off,the top rock is 8ft long,7ft wide and is 13inches thick and thats alot of weight to be moving around 10ft in the air with a chain around it and in a BOBCAT bucket,all that bedrock was hammered out of my pool so i had a good suplurs of bedrock

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Thats pretty cool!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts