Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna take the family to Pickett to camp and ride next weekend. We're going over Friday evening around 5pm and will camp near the trailhead. We'll probably go for a short nightride that evening, with the main ride starting Saturday morning about 8am, and maybe a short ride Sunday morning before leaving that afternoon. Let me know if anyone is interested in meeting up. I'd rather not ride alone and it is a beautiful area for those who have never been there.

·
4,369 Posts
Sounds like a great ride Jerry. I wish I was closer. Have fun :)

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm finally getting around to post a few pic's. I won't eat up space by posting them all, so I'll just post a few of the better ones and include a link to the album for that ride.

This happened the night before the trip on the way home from the Polaris dealer. The crappy bias tires are getting replaced soon :x .

This is looking across the gorge from one overlook to another.

The view from another overlook.

I included pic's of the cave in my earlier ride pic's (different thread), so this is from a different angle. I hiked up to the top of the bluff and took some from there.

This is one of my favorites. One of the natural brides (arches) in the area.

And one from the top of that arch. You can see the edge of my roof toward the bottom of the pic'.

And yet another amazing feat of ******* ingenuity.......they call this "The Car Hauler". The guy that owns this particular piece of property wanted a way down the bluff to access another large portion of his land, so he put this in.

Yes, it is (or was) a real car hauler at one time. Notice the axle/wheels/tires toward the bottom.

I have no idea HOW he got it there, much less in the position that it's in. I can only imagine that it involved a crane. But it's been there ever since the first time I went there....sometime around 23 or 24 years ago. We didn't go down to the lower section because the trail was very rough and narrow last time I was on that section, but a few brave souls gave it a whirl. I think I'll wait until the kids aren't with me before I explore that section again.

Here's one called Kentucky overlook.

And here's Truman overlook.

You're looking at the KY state line in the bottom.

And Chimney Rock in the distance.

The boy had some serious riding hair after a few miles at around 25mph :lol:

We had an awesome ride. Can't wait to go back up there again :D .

Here's a link to the entire album from that ride.
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o146/commanderjjones/Pickett%208-7-10/

·
Registered
103 Posts
Looks like some great riding.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Thanks for sharing Jerry!!!

·
4,369 Posts
Jerry,

That was very cool. Thanks for posting the pics. It looks like you all had a great time. I love the ******* ingenuity :)

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
That looks like a great time!

·
SSW Support Staff
349 Posts
OK, now I am jealous!!! I wish it wasnt so far away!! Id love to hit that trail one of these days!!

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mrwizardd83 said:
OK, now I am jealous!!! I wish it wasnt so far away!! Id love to hit that trail one of these days!!
Come on down, AJ. It's right on the TN/KY line, so it shouldn't be TOO bad of a drive. We're gonna try to go back up the first weekend in September 9/3, 4, and 5).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts