Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another fun thing you can do on the Big Green Egg is Bake. It actually makes a great Pizza Oven. It is basically like a Brick Oven (It is a Ceramic Oven). The Baking Stone works awesome for baking stuff on the grill. In the case of Pizza, it creates a crust that is crisp on the bottom, but yet a little bit chewy.

The crust I made is time consuming due to the rise time, but pretty easy.

4 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
3 Cups Bread Flour
3 Cups Warm Water
2 Tablespoons Active Dry Yeast
2 Teaspoons Sugar
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Teaspoons Salt
2 Tablespoons Honey

Basically take the 3 Cups of Warm Water and dissolve the 2 teaspons of sugar. Once dissolved, at the yeast to the top of the water. Let this stand for about 10 minutes until it starts to foam.

In the mean time, dump all of the flour into a mixing bowl (I use a stand mixer with dough hook so its really easy) mix the two flour types together while the yeast is activating.

After 10 minutes, mix the salt and olive oil to the yeast/water mix. Mix this together.

Once that is mixed, I turn my mixer back on with the flour in the mixing bowl and begin to mix/knead with the dough hook attachment. Once the machine is running, simply gradually pour the water/yeast/salt/oil mix into the flour. In addition, I add the honey to the dough mix at this point too.

Continue mixing until the dough becomes somewhat smooth.

At that point, I remove the mixing bowl from the mixer and roll the dough ball in a bit of olive oil and cover with a paper towl. This dough will rise until it is doubled in size ( about 1 hour).

Once doubled in size, punch the dough down (deflate it) and seperate into (4) roughly equal size dough balls. Put these 4 dough balls into there own seperate bowl and coat with a bit of oil and cover once again with paper towl. Let these rise once again until they are doubled in size. Once that happens, they can be punched down again and rolled out into a crust, or wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated for about 24 to 36 hours or frozen.

I made all of the dough balls yesterday so we could make pizzas quickly today.

There are quicker ways to make pizza dough, but this one seems to work well for me :)

Once the crusts are made, build pizza's accordingly. You can never have too much stuff on them :)

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Great, its bed time and now Im hungry!

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
Good thing I checked this out right before supper. Now I won't be going to be hungry.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The BGE is the way to go. Every time I look at your posts I get hungry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I love cooking pizzas on the Big Green Egg and they are so easy to do to perfection. Click on the video link at the top of this page to watch a video that I put together on how to cook a taco pizza and below are a few pictures that I took of some of the other pizzas I have cooked. Feel free to email me with any questions on pizza cooking, good luck and have fun.
1. get a whole packer brisket - not just the flat - and trim the fat layer down to 1/4". You'll cut off 2-4 lbs of fat
2. season with your favorite rub - I used Bone Dust recipe modified - lots and lots of rub
3. sit in fridge for 2 days with the rub. wrapped in platic
4. get egg ready for low and slow
5. light for low and slow - throw your presoaked chips/chunks - I used hickory, cherry and apple - in the egg
6. install the platesetter upside down with legs up.
7. put a large drip pan 1/2 filled with hot water on the flat of the plate setter.
8. put the grill on top of the plate setter legs
9. place the brisket straight out of the fridge fate side up on the grill
10. maintain 225 degrees until the inside temp of the brisket at the thickest side is 185 degrees - will take 12 + hours depending on brisket size
11. get your cooler ready by preheating it with hot water
12. when the brisket is done, doublewrap it in foil and place it in the cooler wrapped in old towels ( I used a moving blanket)
13. let the brisket rest at least an hour, but serve before inside temp reaches 145 degrees.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts