Side X Side World Forums banner

Polaris: TPS Adjustment 2010 and older

112K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  goldylock81 
#1 ·
TPS Adjustment procedure 2005-2010 XPs:
By: commanderjjones aka Jerry

TPS = Throttle Position Sensor:
The TPS is located on the passenger side of the throttle body. It tells the ECU how far open the butterfly in the throttle body is. If the TPS goes bad it can make the machine run erratically, or cause a hesitation at certain rpm’s. The only way to test the TPS is to use the tool Polaris designed to test it, or back-probe the yellow wire at the connector with a multi-meter and watch the voltage as you run up the throttle. It should climb smoothly, not erratically. Its hard to do as the numbers on the multi-meter will run up quickly.

Short Version.....adjusting the idle voltage:

(1) Find the yellow wire leading to the TPS and carefully pierce the insulation with the positive lead of your multi-meter (make sure that you seal that bare spot when finished). If you want to do it "right" and not pierce the wire insulation, you can buy the Polaris TPS adjustment harness ( Polaris part # 2201519-A ), which simply "T's" into the existing harness plug.
(2) Connect the negative lead of your meter to a good ground on the Ranger (the engine will work.....no need to go all the way to the battery).
(3) Set your multi-meter to the lowest setting that you have above .660 volts to get the most accurate reading ( many have a 2 volt setting and that will work great ).
(4) Turn the key on but do not start the engine. You should be seeing the proper volts for your year:

RZR:
08 = .735 +/- .010 vdc
09 = .730 +/- .010 vdc
10 = .690 - .730 vdc

Ranger:
05/07 – (700cc) = .710 vdc
06/08/09 – (700cc) = .660 vdc
10 – (800cc) = .690 - .730 vdc

If the voltage is outside of that range, turn the idle voltage adjustment screw on the left front of the throttle body ( directly above the throttle cable ) until you have the desired voltage.

Although the screw is designed to require a special tool ( Polaris part # PU-47315 ), it can be done with needle nose pliers. You can buy a cheaper version than the Polaris tool here: http://www.kmsperformance.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=13
(5) After the desired setting is achieved, seal and lock the screw with some thread sealant or finger nail polish to prevent it from rattling out of adjustment.

Long Version.....adjusting the base voltage:

Typically this would only be done if the base voltage screw on the TPS has been tampered with, the TPS has been replaced, you have reason to believe this step needs to be done or if you're at the end of your rope and have ruled out everything else.
(1) Remove throttle cable cover on the side of the throttle body and then disconnect the throttle cable. Be careful to not drop the brass barrel on the end of the cable. That part cannot be bought separately from the T/B if you lose it (don't ask how I know :oops: ).
(2) Back off the idle set screw (shown in pic' above) until it no longer makes contact with the throttle cable cam. This should allow the butterfly to close completely.
(3) Clean the butterfly inside the T/B with carb cleaner and make sure that it closes completely (that's important for accurate readings).
(4) Check the operation range of the TPS. Using the same probe connections as above, change your meter to the lowest setting that you have above 3.6 volts (this will be 12 volts on most meters). Keep in mind this is a very sensitive sensor and very slight movements will produce large changes. It should go smoothly from 0 volts closed to 3.6 volts at WOT ( wide open throttle ). It should do so very smoothly, without any gaps, peaks, or valleys. If it has an abrupt jump or drop in voltage within a very small movement area, the sensor may be bad and needs to be replaced:

TPS:#2410342

(5) To set the base voltage, verify that the butterfly is completely closed, loosen the torx screw on the TPS

and rotate the sensor until you reach .528 volts. Tighten the screw down and verify the voltage again, making sure that the butterfly is completely closed for that reading. This is a difficult step because the sensor wants to move as you tighten down the set screw.
(6) Reinstall the throttle cable and cover, then adjust the idle voltage to the proper volts as described above.

Doing the adjustments are typically easier if you have a second person to hold the meter probes........unless you're lucky enough to have the type of probe that can hold itself in place while piercing the wire insulation.

Great job on the write-up Jerry - thanks for sharing that with us. 8) :wink:

See less See more
#8 ·
I tried to do this on my 2011 today. I could not find the yellow wire, i only saw a red, green and purple wire. Also don't see the D screw. Am I just completely missing this stuff. I will post a pic of what I am looking at maybe someone can point out what I am missing.

#9 ·
Unfortunately these instructions apply to 2010 and older models :roll: The 2011s have a new operating system we are still getting figured out.

#11 ·
Great instructions. I have a few questions. I'm working on a 2010 RZR 800. The idle has been at 1310 RPM. I would like to get it down to the recomended 1150 RPM. I'm using the KMS TPS test cable. If I get the RPM's down to 1150 then I'm at .693 volts. This is with the motor running. With the motor not running I'm at .681 volts. My volt meter is calibrated to this scale so I don't considering it part of the problem. If I attempt to raise the TPS voltage and lower the idle speed the motor runs rich. It's my understanding the TPS should be between .69 and .73 volts. Question 1, What should I expect 1150 RPM to appear voltage wise? My thought is nominal RPM is 1150, therefore nominal TPS should be .71 Question 2, should I just except the reading I'm getting? Question 3, Should I order the TPS test for Polaris, pull the throttle body and start from scratch. The TPS adjustment as it is, can not go any lower. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!!

#12 ·
Welcome to SSW, Jim.

Although I've had a Ranger for several years, I'm relatively new to the RZR side of things and not sure about those TPS spec's. But if the range is .69 to .73 volts as you've mentioned and you're at .693 at 1150 RPM's, I would leave it there if the machine is running fine. If it doesn't seem to be running as it should, then adjustment of the base voltage might be necessary.

#13 ·
Thanks for you response. I need to clairify myself. To get to 1150 RPM the TSP voltage is .681. at 1250 RPM the TSP is .693. The measurment are with the motor running. With the motor not running the voltages drop about .01. If I get the TSP voltage anywhere near .7 the motor runs rich enough it doesn run well, hesitates and burns ones eyes. I suspect that it wasn't set up correctly from the factory. It's just close enough to make it run.

#15 ·
I have not done the base voltage. I have adjusted the TPS, but it was and still is adjusted all the way to one end. Moving the TPS will increase the voltage but the unit runs very rich. The other adjustment is with the idle screw. I guess I asking if I should go to the effort and do the base voltage and start from scratch. Also should the voltages be within spec with the engine off?

#16 ·
Its kind of odd, on a 2010 the voltages should be the same key on or off. I'd say if they are different set it while its running. I would reset the base setting, it sure sounds like its way off.

#17 ·
Well that's what I was looking for was a second opinon. I was also thinking the base is off therfore everything else is off. I haven't done this adjustment before but your instructions are straight forward and clear. Now I need to get the tester ordered. The cable I have would be fine for the TPS voltage, but to set the base I need the cable that has a good 5 volt source. Thanks for you input. I will let you know how this works out.

#18 ·
Please let us know how it turns out for you.

Do you know if the base voltage numbers are the same for the Ranger and the RZR? I have no idea if they're the same or even close, so you should verify the correct number before adjusting the base.

#19 ·
No I do not know. I have a manual but it's not in there. For the most part it says that you have to by a new throttle body. Any suggestion where I could find the information? I'm not sure the dealers would give that out. The document I printed was from you. It says "TPS adjustment procedure 2005-2010 XP's" Mine is not and XP but just a RZR. In the document is states "Base voltage should be .528 volts."

#20 ·
Unfortunately, I don't know the base voltage for the RZR. That's kind of why I was asking you :lol: .....to broaden my knowledge.

You're probably right about it not being in the manual. I think that Polaris doesn't want folks tampering with that and obviously selling you a new throttle body would be more profitable for them :roll: . The manual for the 500 Ranger was the same way....no reference to the base voltage, only to replace the throttle body.

The info' has to be out there somewhere. I'll do some digging and see what I can come up with because I'd also like to know.

But if I had to go out on a limb and take a wild guess, I'd say that they're probably the same....very similar (if not the same) throttle body and a similar idle voltage setting leads me to believe that the base voltage is probaly the same or very close.

#22 ·
That would be great. Where I'm at now TPS voltage with the Motor off .680, Motor on .694 RPM and RPM is 1220. RPM used to be 1320 and that started this project. I guess my whole point is I'm near the bottom of the TPS Voltage and near the top of RPM. In short I need to bring the RPMs down and TPS up. I guess one could say I'm in spec. but it leaves no room for drift and that is the reason that the 2010 TPS range verses a fixed voltage. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

#23 ·
I went through all my RZR manuals. Unfortunately the last year they list specs on how to reset to the base setting is 2008. The spec for that year is .528. Its likely the same for a 2010, but I havent been able to confirm it.

#24 ·
Thanks for looking. From my research it looks like .528 volts has been the standard. I have a manual and it's not in there either. I think I will record my readings when I start. Then adjust to .528 and see how it works out. If not so good I can go back to the starting point. I can tell the TPS where it at, is on the edge. I will let you know my findings. There might be a bargin on ebay if it all goes bad :) Thanks again!!!

#25 ·
Success!!! I kept adjusting the TPS and the idle adjustment screw. Shut the unit of and restart it. I ended up at .702 with the motor off, .715 with the motor running and the RPM at 1150. the TPS range is .69 to .73. Once I got it close to dialed in it all came together. One thing that needs remembered is to shut the motor off and restart so the computer re-learns the settings. Thanks to everyone for their input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.