Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be in the market for some doors for the "S" and the regular RZR. Since these doors are pretty expensive I figured I would do a little research before I dive in. If you have any experience with any kind of doors for the RZR. What is your experience? What brand of doors? Installation and customer service support? Real world how do they handle on the trail? Protect? Keep you cleaner? Are they really worth the money at the end of the day. Which brand of doors do I need to steer away from.

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
Great thread Pops - I'm also in the market for a set of doors for my "09" RZR and I'll be watching this closely for some feedback. IMO and just going by the styling and pics - my favorites so far are the ProArmor doors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0MWlT_Vkk

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
O' there are several I like, but have heard stories good and bad about different doors. I would sure hate myself to purchase a new set of doors, and later find out they have a history of poping open, or a nightmare to keep adjusted.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the Factory UTV doors because they are flat and don't increase the Rzr width. There's plenty of room and so far I haven't hit my elbow on them. I have to stay at 50" to ride legal on the trails here in MI. They do a great job of keeping mud & sand out of my lap and are also a good safety item that keeps jutting branches from spearing your legs as you ride by. The doors hang by loose hinge pins and can be removed in seconds and don't look like there's something missing when they're gone. Installation was pretty easy with all holes just a little oversize to give some final adjustability. Since I bought mine (first production run) they have made some improvements in the latch that eliminate rattles & any chance of the door popping open.
I even reinstalled my nets for added safety against my arm coming out in a roll. They're attached to the door & open with it.

If you can be over 50" I also like the Pro Armor all-aluminum doors:

·
PRC Sponsor
27 Posts
If you're getting a swing-open door, my advice is to be sure that you get one with a rotary latch (like cars use). This is the only latch that you can be sure will not pop open in a wreck. The RZR chassis flexes quite a bit in regular driving. In a wreck, the flex is much greater. This flex is what causes cheaper slide latches to pop open.

Harry

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't know why nobody makes one with a DeStaCo hook-type latch

These would be very secure & keeps the latch under tension to stop rattles.

Frame flex has been an eye-opener for me. I've even had my door swing open on my trailer going over rough roads or around a curve. I had to adjust my spring latch to insert much farther into the strike plate & it hasn't happened again.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have the ProArmor doors, mine are the netted style but they have the solid panels also, same price. I ride very very hard in the dunes, jumps, some soft and some very hard landings and these doors have not even come close to accidently comming open. They do not rattle, just a great door. And I guess "that's all I have to say about that". So remember to.....

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the information, I now have my income tax check and it's burning a hole in my pocket. It sounds like most that I have read about here have been good. and you have been pleased with them. the 50" limit is not really a concern here in Virginia because they are illegal anywhere but off the road and everything is mostly private where we can ride. I think I will be going with something like the Pro Armor soors for the "S" and then if I have anymore money left, I want a set of the flat type doors for the regular RZR because I'm going to take it into the direction toward a hard core trail rider, not alot of speed but plenty of torque.

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
Thanks for all of the feedback fella's - it's exactly what a few of us were looking for !! I do believe that I'll be going with the ProArmor door's also. :D :wink:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not having doors myself, the only feed back I can give you is this .... I was out with some Rzr S's over the weekend and every one ( 4 I think) with Pro armor doors could not keep them closed. Every time the frame flexed any at all the doors popped open. Now, I did not install them but these were some every smart guys and I feel they would know how to install a door. I am in no way bashing Pro armor I am just reporting what I saw. I am one of those guys that reads all of these product report with a grain of salt and you should do the same.

Good luck with your door search and update us on your findings.

·
Registered
211 Posts
quadtrax said:
Not having doors myself, the only feed back I can give you is this .... I was out with some Rzr S's over the weekend and every one ( 4 I think) with Pro armor doors could not keep them closed. Every time the frame flexed any at all the doors popped open. Now, I did not install them but these were some every smart guys and I feel they would know how to install a door. I am in no way bashing Pro armor I am just reporting what I saw. I am one of those guys that reads all of these product report with a grain of salt and you should do the same.

"If it can happen it will" but I have yet to have a door pop open and I do some serious hard riding, lots of drop off's, "G" outs, jumping, twisting and my doors are staying closed. The doors have been installed since last Oct and put 982 miles on them...... :roll: I have been pleased :)

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
orca said:
quadtrax said:

"If it can happen it will" but I have yet to have a door pop open and I do some serious hard riding, lots of drop off's, "G" outs, jumping, twisting and my doors are staying closed. The doors have been installed since last Oct and put 982 miles on them...... :roll: I have been pleased :)

Dennis What kind of latch does the Pro Armor doors have?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi Mike, I will take a picture tomorrow for you to view but they use a spring loaded pin about 1 1/4 inch's long and goes into a hole in a metal plate with a Teflon bushing for a tight rattle free fit. You must force the pin in place with minimal effort and protrudes about 3/8"through the plate, to me for it to ever pop open the doors were not aligned properly. If you do not retract the spring loaded pin you can't lock the door.

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
Dennis, thanks for the follow-up. I too am looking to put a set of the ProArmor doors on my machine and would like to see a pic of the latch set-up.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Rich... Here are some pic's of the ProArmor door latch. These were taken with the doors off when DragonFire was installing my Turbo.

Some pic's of the turbo install....I will pick it up at noon today :D :D

Muffler .... and "MakinTrax" springs....big difference in ride

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
Dennis, Thanks for the pics of the ProArmor door latch set-up. Hey - the Turbo set-up is looking trick - keep us posted on that !! :D 8) :wink:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I will have 4 sets in stock tomorrow! I love how they look and seem to latch great.

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chase, PM sent..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts