Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Rzr S with a Dragonfire Turbo. They recommended running race Gas. Anyone on the forum have an opinion about whether or not to use a leaded or unleaded Race Fuel. I have been using C12 which is a leaded 108 octane. It has run great and no problems, just wanated some feedback. Thanks

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
David, The lead additive is mainly used for valve seat lubrication in the internal combustion engine. 108 octane will definitely reduce your chances of the engine damaging detonation/knock. Is your Dragonfire Turbo set-up running a intercooler - if not then that may be the reason Dragonfire recommends running the High Octane / Race Gas.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dragonfire Turbo does not utilize an Intercooler and it is the reason that they want me to use race Gas. Just didn't know if there were any benefits of lead vs. unleaded.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi David,
I use VP110 with 91 octain pump gas at a 50/50 mix and has been good also... For those that do not know, David and I have the same Turbo by DragonFire.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the recommendations- I was using 50/50- 110/91 but the folks at dragonfire in AZ recommended full race gas. the last few times i have taken it out I have used the VP110 (C12). I now have close to 50 hours on my turbo with no problems.

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
Is racing fuel expensive, I haven't ever bought any don't even know for sure where to buy any, just curious..

·
Registered
211 Posts
Pops said:
Is racing fuel expensive, I haven't ever bought any don't even know for sure where to buy any, just curious..
Race fuel is usually a little more than twice the price of 91 octane. I'vebeen paying $6.75 a gallon for VP 110, mixed 50/50 with pump gas at say $3.00 a gallon gives me a average cost per gallon of fuel of.......$4.88. And yes if I had left it alone.......about $2.75 a gallon for 89 octane. But I do enjoy the additional power when I need it. :wink:

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
Thanks for the information, never bought any race fuel. Might may a pretty expensive weekend, normally go through about 20 gallons on a trail riding weekend. Probably don't need the extra power trail riding, but does the race fuel add to the low end torque?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Pops said:
Thanks for the information, but does the race fuel add to the low end torque?
No.....Race fuel is usually only required when you have higher compression engines, race fuel helps to deter detonation. If the vehicle you ride, sidexside, quad, bike etc does not "ping" during hard riding, then higher octane should not be required.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts