Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body know if rzrs shocks will fit on a rzr?

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
The Factory "S" shocks are too long for a standard RZR. They do make basically the same shock for the standard rzr but they are pretty expensive, around $1500.00 a set.

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
RZR OEM Shock Specs:

*FRONT Polaris No: 814902001182 Mfr: Sachs/Mexico
Length eye-to-eye: 16.25"
Bushing: 13/32 (10mm) ID, 5/8 OD, 1 3/16 long
Spring preload (lowest setting): 220 Lbs.
Spring Rate: 100 Lbs per Inch
Spring Free Length: 12.375", 6.5 free coils, Installed Length: 10.25"
Preload adjuster range: .625"

*REAR Polaris No: 814902001183 Mfr: Sachs/Mexico
Length eye-to-eye: 18.5"
Bushing: 13/32 (10mm) ID, 5/8 OD, 1 3/16 long
Spring preload (lowest setting): 220 Lbs.
Spring Rate: 170 Lbs per Inch
Spring Free Length: 13.5", 8.5 free coils, Installed Length: 12.125"
Preload adjuster range: .625"

·
Registered
25 Posts
why not........

I'm saying it can be done, I have the shocks and an old 2" lift kit to cannibalize.
The shock travel is only 1/4 inch longer than the stocker.
You can move the rear wheel down slightly (09 model) .
There is plenty of room in the wheel bay for the remaining extra length.

a soon as this arctic blast is over the project will begin, too cold out in the shop now! 19 degrees ..........

Already have temporarily mounted a set of yfz450 shocks up front, haven't got to check out the ride yet.........

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Welcome to SSW, Robert. Glad to have you with us.

I'm intrigued by your YFZ450 shock set-up. Performance shocks for my Ranger are expensive, but I can get shocks like those really cheap on places like ebay or salvage yards. I'm skeptical that the spring rate (and possibly damping) may be a little on the light side, but I wish you the best. Please let us know how it works on your RZR when you have a chance to try it out. :wink:

·
4,369 Posts
Robert,

Welcome to SSW. It sounds like you have a nice little project to work on once the weather gets better. It would be great to see your writeup if you get the shocks mounted.

Welcome Aboard.

·
Registered
25 Posts
rzr shock options

The yamaha shock may not be the best choice, yea but they are cheap and easy to find, one problem with the Yfz shock is mounting width differences, they will need to have a bracket made for top and bottom .
You would think the shock would be weaker, but dont forget about shock angles and the reduction ratios. besides the stock rzr front shock is only sprung at 100 pounds.
I'll start a new thread later and get some pics up to go along with it.

Robert
PS after bolting them up on the front it has 11 inches of ground clearance without ever adjusting the springs .

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Re: rzr shock options

thundermountain said:
......but dont forget about shock angles and the reduction ratios. besides the stock rzr front shock is only sprung at 100 pounds......
This is true. I wasn't counting you out, bud :wink: . I really hope it works, more than you know......'cause mine might be next :lol: .

I think that I actually still have one of those YFZ450 shocks in my shop somewhere from my last quad......so I'd just have to buy one more to experiment with. I'm a welder by trade, so fab'ing and installing new brackets won't be any issue.

Good luck and please give us a report after you test her out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
fyi ....

Assuming that the ranger shock is the same width as a rzr , your swap wouldn't be too hard to make. I attached a pic of the temporary mount on the bottom end, the strap iron is about 14 gauge metal , I chose to relocate both the top and bottom mounts because I would have to ground some material off the lower shock or create clearance on the a arm at the bottom and likewise on the top mount. Didn't want to modify either one just in case this mod doesn't pan out. Other pics are before and after of the "ebay" 2" lift kit needed to position the shock out of the sway bar.
Oh yea no spacers were needed, kinda worked out easy ... the top mount is as wide as the outside of the shock bracket, and the bottom end ,2 pcs of 14 gauge metal goes between the shock and the mount. Got ya thinking of a shock swap now?

how do I post pics here?

view pics here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=50536&id=100000588914077

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
Robert, Welcome to the PRC - glad to have you join up with us. :wink: I fixed the above link for you, but here are the photo posting instructions - print them out and give it a try.
http://www.sidexsideworld.com/viewtopic.php?t=22307

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Re: fyi ....

thundermountain said:
how do I post pics here?
Go to our pic' posting thread http://www.sidexsideworld.com/viewforum.php?f=444 and print out the instructions to use while you work on posting them. You'll need to upload your pic's to a host site such as Photobucket.

I looked at the pic's on Facebook. Have you had a chance to test it yet? I'd love to have some better shocks, I'm just having a hard time swallowing the $1200 to $2500 expense.

·
Registered
25 Posts
cost

for the front I will have invested
$100 for the shocks
$20 bucks in gas to go get them
$100 for the ebay lift kit, shipped
$20 bucks for a 10' stick of 14 gage tubing to make lower bracket with
$10 bucks for hard steel metric bolts

So for $250 I will have installed a set of shocks that have both rebound and compression dampening

NOTE:
my shock is slightly shorter than a stock rzr shock , 5/8" or so ...FYI

·
4,369 Posts
That sounds like a great deal. Plus the home Grown/Engineered stuff is always the most fun :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Re: time warp

thundermountain said:
Kinda takes me back to the days of building those old hobby stockers and IMCA cars
I am anxious to see the final product in person, Which means we still need to get together for a ride some time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
arkie....

Gonna take me a while to get the wrinkles ironed out on this one...today plans are to get the sway bar hooked up and take it for a spin today. might cut out a template for the rear shock mount too.

Yea will need to catch up to you someday, probably be in warmer weather, my navigator doesn't do too well in the cold.

·
Registered
25 Posts
update

for all that had read this old thread before.... this is a good mod, was pretty easy to make the adapter plates but there is no way possible to put the RZR-S front shocks up front of a 50" RZR. so unless you have a pair of shocks just laying around it would be easier to do the Yamaha YZ shock on the rear end and the Suzuki LTR-450 front shocks up front mod
That said I have just finished putting the 60" arms on my rzr and have the brackets available for sale should anyone want them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts