Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
PRC & SSW Administrator
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We had to crowd the edge to get around a rock. Check my rear tire. Gulp! :shock:

The drop actually went down a couple of hundred feet!!!!!

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Gary,
Where was that?

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Gary Lenon said:
commanderjjones said:
Gary,
Where was that?
In Kentucky at Ron's place.
Ahhhhhh, I thought it looked familiar. I don't remember that spot being THAT close, but the pic' doesn't lie. It's amazing the hazards we can become accustomed to. :lol:

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Scariest riding moment..........hmmmmmmm :? . After racing moto-x for 10+ years and 30+ years total of off-roading, I have several to choose from :lol: .

I'd say the worst in a SXS involved my brother's wife, Becky. She was riding in the passenger's seat, my niece was in the middle, my daughters were in the back seat, and my brother was following behind us on a quad. We were scooting along about 25mph or so down a gravel road and noticed he was no longer behind us. So I decided to do an abrupt turn around. This was shortly after I got the Ranger and I still didn't fully realize it's limitations. After slowing to about 5 to 7mph, I thought that I would "powerslide" the rear end around in the gravel.......bad mistake :shock: . It teetered up on the 2 passenger side wheels for what seemed like an eternity, although it was probably only 4 or 5 seconds. By the time it finally decided to lay over on it's side, luckily we were already pretty much at a complete stop. Unfortunately, she instinctively put her leg outside of the machine as it layed over :shock: . When it came to rest, I asked if everyone was okay and she said that her leg was under the Ranger :shock: . Knowing that the nerf bars stuck out about 5" past the body, I was expecting the worst. I quickly unbuckled, which was more difficult than I expected while suspended 5 feet off the ground, and proceeded to try lifting the machine up enough to get her leg out. Don't ask me how I did it (must have been one of those panic induced, superhuman strength moments), but I managed to lift it up enough for her to get her leg out. As luck would have it, it just happened to lay over in a shallow rut that prevented her leg from being crushed. The only injury was a few very small scratches from the gravel.

That was the day that I learned my lesson about powersliding/donuts/abrupt cornering.......Rangers just aren't made for that. We were very fortunate that it wasn't any worse. I would've never forgiven myself if that incident would've mangled her leg up......or worse :( .

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Well mine also involved a little bit of foolishness. We were on a hunting weekend, and we had a large group with our SXS's. We came across this gully that ran down a hill, and my son in law pulled his Mule up to climb one side of that gully, but decided it was too steep, so we left and went back to camp. A little later on my cousin Karl (Commander) and I decided to take a little spin. We drove around for a little bit, then came across that gully :shock: Being the older, wiser?? :? members of the group we figured we could climb that bank. I put my 05 Ranger in low and stomped on the throttle. It climbed the bank, in fact it launched straight up off the top of it like a 1,200 pound rocket. :shock: Keep in mind we were on a hillside. When my Ranger came back down it was still pointed straight up at the sky. The right rear wheel hit, and it bounced back up and twisted almost 180 degrees before coming back down on the drivers side upper front corner of the roll cage. Unfortunately neither Karl or I had our seat belts on. I slid sideways, and smacked my head on the side of the roll bar (that may explain a few things 8) ) but I was the lucky one. Karl flew forward, went through my rear view mirror, then hit his head in the center of the roll bar and bent the roll bar forward an inch or so :shock: , then slid sideways and landed on me. All while managing to hang onto his video camera :? We dragged ourselves out of the Ranger, which was laying on its side. Karl had blood on the side of his face and neck. It looked like it was coming from his ear, but it turned out to be from a cut on his neck he got when he went through the mirror. The Ranger had gas leaking from the vent, and we tried to flip it over but the cage was on the downhill side so we couldn't do it. Luckily Karl had his Nextel with him, so he two wayed his son, who was back at camp. They were probably 500 yards from us, and they had to get through a locked gate, but it seemed like they were there in 30 seconds. They started to flip it over, but Karl stopped them so that he could video them flipping it over :roll: They figured he bumped his head too hard and kept flipping it over. These pics are stills from that video. When we got back to camp we considered taking Karl to the hospital, but he didn't want to go. He was pretty banged up, and had a cut on his neck, but he was OK. We learned a few lessons that day. Karl decided he wasn't going to be a passenger anymore, and bought his own Ranger 8)

·
SSW Director of Public Relations
2,248 Posts
You guys have been on some wild rides.

Mine was when we rolled the ranger onto its side messing around in the back of our property. Similar to Jerry I was trying to slide it around a corner and caught a mole hill (I hate moles :evil: ). It went over in slow motion and my wife also by instinct stuck out her lag. I had to run up to the house and get the truck to pull the ranger up enough to get her lag out. Luckily we only ended up with a few bumps and bruises.

·
Registered
748 Posts
On our Thanksgiving trip to Glamis we were leaving Oldsmobile Hill heading to the sand drags near Gecko Rd. I had intended to follow a friend of mine in a Suzuki Samurai down the Sand Highway. As we were leaving I saw the others in our group a Sand Car and 3 other RZRs take off and head into the big dunes to get there. I decide what the heck and jumped in behind them. I radio'ed the leader in the Sand Car that I was behind them but apparently he did not receive my transmission, I was also sure the RZR right ahead of me saw me in his mirror but that was a bad assumption on my part.

We headed up one of the big dunes and at the top you had to make a left into the bowl. I was about 40' from the crest under full throttle when a rider on a quad came out of the bowl and instead of going back in the bowl or taking another option he stopped short right in front of me. I braked and of course lost all my momentum in the soft sand, translate to almost stuck.

Backing down was not an option, turning around was not an option either. There was a small sand shelf to my left rear that the RZR4 would fit on. I wanted to get out of anyone coming out of the bowls way. I managed to back up on the shelf and tried radioing my buddy with no success. I figured that they the last fellow would alert the group I was missing, but he had not noticed I had joined them. I felt pretty alone up there on that shelf with the grandsons.

To get off the shelf I saw only one option. The south side of the shelf was nearly straight down for for over 100 ft. and of course soft sand. The other side dropped off more and was not at all passable ridges and valleys. I opted for the south side and felt that it was so steep that I had to go straight down or there wold be a high risk of rolling.

I spent the next 20-30 minutes getting the RZR4 pointed directly down off the sand shelf, all the while making sure I didn't get stuck or go too far off either side of the shelf. Once I got it straight, I told the boys to hold on and we went down, with very little problem and worked our way back to the sand highway.

Lessons Learned:
- Make sure someone acknowledges your radio transmissions
- Don't change riding groups after you have started the ride unless you have a way to make absolutely sure both groups know your intentions.
- A RZR 4 is a long SXS to turn around on a narrow sand shelf
- The RZR4 will go down a nearly straight down slope if you use a little brake to control the speed and a little throttle to keep it straight in soft sand
- Throw away the car GPS I have and get one that will really work in the dunes.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Gary Lenon said:
We had to crowd the edge to get around a rock. Check my rear tire. Gulp! :shock:

The drop actually went down a couple of hundred feet!!!!!
WOW, you can count me out of that one.....

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Looks like Trevis is getting ready to skin that thing! :lol:

·
Registered
147 Posts
My scariest moment was right in camp. We had a good time riding the sand at Oceano Dunes and started building a track at camp for the kids. I pull a pallet with the ranger in an oval to dig ruts for the kids to stay in. With the track service dug into the sand the kids just go around and around and get shorter and shorter as they build berms in the corners. I put the keys up and started to par take in my ice chest, and any other ice chest I could find when my brother came along and wanted to take the ranger for a night ride. I didn't care and off he went. I precided to return to my chair and the ice chest and about an hour later he returned with no problems. At this point my wife complains that she didn't get to go and jumps in for a quick ride. My brother then proceeds to run all the kids out of the track and see how fast he can make it around. He made the first few laps just fine and kept picking up speed. This seemed fine until he was coming out of turn one and climbed too high on the berm into turn two, dropped the right tires over the top side and launched the ranger out of the track. The ranger gracefully went air born and landed on its right side. Here hangs my brother on the drivers side and my wife laying in the sand on the passengers side. Both had there seat belts on and were kept inside the ranger and thank God for soft sand as my wife's leg was between the ranger and the sand. We rushed over and flipped the ranger back on all four to keep my wife from being crushed by my brother as that seat belt could only hold for soo long :lol: . Needless to say four part harnesses and foot minders were installed before the next trip. Was amazed, the ranger never died and the only damage was two poped beads on the passenger side and a busted fuel cap gauge.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts