Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since things are slow here, I guess no one is cooking out side. So I trimmed the fat off of the pork loin and spiced this one up more than I usually do. Made the bacon blanket for it and had to go without bacon wrapped potatoes. I hate it when I run out of bacon.

[/img]

And smoked it to 170* I like my didital thermometer. The pork loin was moist, tender and the best one yet.

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Nope.....still smokin' here. I got a Masterbuilt electric smoker (boy, is that ever convenient :D ) for Christmas and have been using it at least once or twice a week.

The bacon blanket ought to add a nice flavor.....I'll have to try that on my next one. Pork loins are one of my favorite things to smoke.

What is the green stuff......basil, oregano, etc...???

·
4,369 Posts
Ahhh, the bacon Basket Weave on the Pork Loin...Hmmm that looks delicous.

I have not smoked anything for about a month. However, I will either be doing Brisket or Pork Butts for the Superbowl :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I spiced it up with my rub, some cajon stuff, basil, cracked pepper, and some cilantro. I didn't think the electric smoker would get hot enough for my winter smoking so I went propane. When the weather sucks with wind, snow, rain and cold I still get dinner :mrgreen: I would like to do more briskets, but the kid wont eat beef :roll: so I do put a hurtin on the pigs.

·
4,369 Posts
GPER said:
I spiced it up with my rub, some cajon stuff, basil, cracked pepper, and some cilantro. I didn't think the electric smoker would get hot enough for my winter smoking so I went propane. When the weather sucks with wind, snow, rain and cold I still get dinner :mrgreen: I would like to do more briskets, but the kid wont eat beef :roll: so I do put a hurtin on the pigs.
That is why I love my Big Green Egg, I can load the thing up with the Hardwood Lump Charcoal and it runs a pretty consistent temp even in the cold weather, Once the whole Ceramic Egg comes up to temp it does a great job retaining heat. On one load of charcoal (10lbs) I can burn 24 hours + in the winter, running between 225 and 275 degrees. I did some smoking last winter in 5 below and it worked awesome. I can't wait to fire it up this weekend.

I am hoping my meat market will have a Brisket available (They Butcher Every Thursday)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I cremated a Thanksgiving turkey about 4 years ago when I put the second charge of charcoal in at 5 am and went back to bed. Usually when the weather is crappy the charcoal takes awhile to start and when it does it starts slow. this batch must have went like an inferno while I was dreaming of the perfect turkey. I had to run up the Krogers to get a pre cooked turkey, propane has been my good friend.

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
That's what I like about my electric.....set it and forget about it. I haven't had any issues with heat loss, but I'm not as far north as you guys. Mine is temp' controlled, so I wouldn't think that the temp' would flutuate by more than 10 degrees or so. :?:

·
Registered
44 Posts
My favorite Pork on Pork.
What time is Dinner?

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
You guys are killin me! Now I'm hungry :roll:
Welcome to SSW Jim!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts