Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most cars come with skinny "donut" spares that don't weigh much or take up much space. I'm thinking of doing the same thing for my Rzr using a motorcycle tire mounted to a narrow aluminum rim. So far I've never gotten a blowout or any problem that couldn't be fixed with plugs but sooner or later it's bound to happen. I don't want to carry a full-sized tire/rim the other 99.9% of the time.

I've checked MC tires & there are knobby 26" with an adequate weight rating that would work for emergency use. I need to find a rim like you sometimes see on streetbikes & dragsters (solid). I'm pretty sure Douglas has a 3 or 4" red label & they will cut any hole pattern in the center you ask for.

Anyone see any flaws in my thinking?

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
Interesting idea Mark :shock: - My first thought - I'm just wondering how expensive the solid wheel would be? Keep us posted on your findings - HMMMM. :idea: :wink:

·
SSW Support Staff
614 Posts
The lateral pressure may require the wheel to be much heavier than a cycle wheel, but good idea for saving space.

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
Sounds like a good idea if you can find a wheel to will match the bolt pattern, another suggestion might be to get one of those temp tires and a adapter to fit your bolt pattern. If you can find a small ford spare with a 5X4.5" pattern, I have seen adapters that will match it back up to the RZR.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Similar idea that I used on the Ranger was to find an an ATV wheel and tire combo that fit. I picked up from a local shop for less than $100. It takes up less room and I figure I could use it to limp back if needed. Fortunately I never had to test it on a ride.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
quadtrax said:
Sound like an idea ... Have you tried it yet??
I gave up for now. I called Douglas Wheel hoping they had something for a streetbike or dragster but they didn't.

Basically I was picturing an aluminum rim like from a MC but with spokes replaced by a thick disc welded in place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts