Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotta steering rack question for you. I have a 2010 Crew and broke my right outer CV during the rally from driver error. I got high centered, put the crew in AWD and proceeded to try rocking back and forth. However during one of these motions I heard the POP of my CV Breaking.

I made a 12 mile drive back to camp in 2wd on gravel and paved roads with no problems.

However, I now hear a grinding/screeching, kinda like dragging your nails across a blackboard, while turning my steering wheel to the right. It only happens on a small section of the steering gearbox/rack rotation. I put it up on a jack and the rack doesn't really seem to bind as far as I can tell. It really sounds that something is just dry and free of lubricant during a small area of travel.

I hit a pretty big mud puddle that got water and mud everywhere all the way up to the back side of the instrument cluster.

Is there a possibility that I damaged my steering rack when I broke my CV as well? Or could it just be some mud reminants causing the noises I am hearing?

I have not lubed up the obvious U Joints yet, but figured I would spray some WD40 and possibly some white lithium grease to see of that helps.

The rack boots look in tact and the tie rods don't appear bent. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
I don't think you have a problem, one of the RZRs ia making all kinds of noises in the steering, I still haven't cleaned everything up, I'm hoping it's only the dust and dry surfaces.

·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found the Culpret in my steering rack. I had a sheared off head of a bolt wedged between the steering shaft and the hole in the floorboard/dash that the steering shaft goes through.

So the good news is the Rack is fine, the bad news is, now I gotta figure out what bolt got sheared off LOL.....just my luck, a scavenger hunt

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
Time is cheap Rack Aren't

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Pops said:
Time is cheap Racks Aren't
:shock: Sounds like an ad for a plastic surgeon. :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts