Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have started construction of my speaker box for my 2010 Ranger Crew. When it is complete it will house (4) Polk DB651 6.5" speakers and a (1) Polk DB840DVC 8" Subwoofer. In addition, I will have a couple of overhead cab lights installed in the box as well.

The box is designed to have the 3 speakers installed in the rear area of the crew. The other 2 speakers will be between the driver and the passenger.

The box is being constructed of 1/2" MDF. One the construction is finished, it will be hopefully coated with LineX prodviding the spray on bedliner guy doesnt charge me a fortune LOL.

I will also be running dual amps that will be mounted under the front seat of the crew. I have a MTX Terminator TN250/1 Mono Amp for the Sub, and a MTX Terminator TN400/4 Amp for the other speakers.

My head Unit is a Sony CDX M60UI Marine Deck with an Ipod/USB Output.

Anyways, these are some very basic pics. I will have a detailed writeup once everything is installed, which I am hoping will be next weekend.

6/2/2010
Well I have finally finished the wood construction portion of the speaker box. I have built an enclosed Sub Box inside of the overhead speaker box. I am not sure if it was needed, but I figured I would add it anyways to give the sub its own seperate sound box. In addition, I added a 2" thick laminated MDF ring on the top side of the speaker box to allow for the Sub woofer depth.

Finally, since the construction is mostly glued together I figured I would add some 3/4" quarter round trim pieces that are glued and nailed to the inside of the box. I figured this would add some additional rigidity. (I would have coped the quarter round corner joints, but I did not have a clue where my coping saw was...found the blades, but no saw. So the corners on the quarter round are ugly, but oh well nobody will see them).

So, tommorrow it is off to the Line-X shop to see what its gonna cost to have bedliner sprayed on it. With any luck it will be coated and ready to assemble.

6/7/2010
Okay, Got the box back today from being sprayed with LineX. I am very happy with how it turned out. The Line-X coating makes it very durable. But suprisingly enough I bet it added 10 to 15 lbs of weight to the speaker box.

I figured I had to dry fit all of the speakers in the box to see how everything fit. Four out of the five speakers fit very well. However, one of the speaker holes had a big excess Line-X drip that needed to be sanded down. Wow, I can say this stuff is very very tough. It definitely takes alot to remove it.

I also had the board that I am mounting both of the Amps to sprayed with Line-X too. I am sure I did not need to, but I figured it looked cool.

I can't wait for the weekend so I can begin the actual system install in my Crew.

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
That is some excellent work!

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Lookin real good!

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Looks great Steve. It's almost a shame to cover such nice work with Line-X. :shock:

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
commanderjjones said:
Looks great Steve. It's almost a shame to cover such nice work with Line-X. :shock:
My thoughts exactly Jerry - I think it warrants some stain and polyurethane!! :D 8) :wink:

·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RZRRich said:
commanderjjones said:
My thoughts exactly Jerry - I think it warrants some stain and polyurethane!! :D 8) :wink:
Now that is funny....hmm a clearcoat on MDF Board LOL....Now if it was Oak or Maple maybe.

Well, I got my LineX quote yesterday and about choked. However, he had said that if I dropped it off this morning it would be done today.

So I decided to drop it off this morning and, well, now it will be done Monday. Apparently they did not have any trucks getting sprayed or something and they did not feel like firing up the LineX sprayer for the speaker box. I was kind of Bummed out, but oh well I guess that is the way it goes.

I am having the box sprayed on the inside and out. I figured it would give it a Weatherproof finish LOL. I am also having the mounting board for my Amp coated in Linex too. That board is basically an 11" x 42" peice of 1/2" MDF with a routed Edge. That will mount in under the front seat of the Crew with the Dual Amps.

All and All, the linex dude is charging me $160, which was about $60 more than I was expecting. However, I guess I have about $40 in wood and aluminum angle for mounting hardware tied up, so overall, the custom fit speaker box will cost me $200. When I look at it that way it is more tolerable LOL.

I will provide more updates next week.

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Yeah, you couldn't have even came CLOSE to an enclosure of that quality for $200. Not to mention the satisfaction and custom fit of making it yourself and to your spec's.

·
Registered
170 Posts
OK Steve the box is looking awesome,however how did you build that box with a work bench that no one would even think about finding a TOOL on,and WOW has the CREW being cleaned been on the back BURNER[just all in fun :lol: :lol: :lol: ] thats going to be a cool setup and will forsure put out some serious POWER!!! GREAT JOB MAN

·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
foxcrew6 said:
OK Steve the box is looking awesome,however how did you build that box with a work bench that no one would even think about finding a TOOL on,and WOW has the CREW being cleaned been on the back BURNER[just all in fun :lol: :lol: :lol: ] thats going to be a cool setup and will forsure put out some serious POWER!!! GREAT JOB MAN
LMAO....You notice the Saw Horses....Thats how the speaker box got built LOL...Between the saw horse and the work bench (Err back of the Ranger) the box parts were able to get cut and glued together.

Yeah, my workbench looks like a bomb blew up on it. It becomes a dumping ground for everything in the house that the Boss (My Wife) tells the kids to take out to the garage. Its a good thing most of my stuff is located in my tool box.

Now for the Ranger being dirty, well, it will have to get a bath before the tunes get installed (Gotta get rid of the sawdust :) )

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
Good job on the speaker box Steve, I have heard of the wood you are using but what is MDF?

·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pops said:
Good job on the speaker box Steve, I have heard of the wood you are using but what is MDF?
MDF is medium density fiberboard. It is very easy to work with. It makes great workbench top and is good for making woodworking jig and fixtures.

Also many speaker boxes are also made out of this.

·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pics Updated - Line-X is Done :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I am happy with how it turned out. It was $160 well spent for the spray on bedliner

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
VERY NICE .... and cool 8) !! One things for certain bud - we'll hear you coming before we see you. :lol: :wink:

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
RZRRich said:
...........we'll hear you coming before we see you. :lol: :wink:
For sure! :lol: 8)

Makes me embarrassed of my homemade speaker enclosure. :oops:

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
Great job, Steve looks really nice.

Thanks for the information on the MDF

·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I finally got the box mounted in the crew today. I am very happy with how it fits. Now, I just need to finish the wiring part. I hope to have it all done by Thursday as I need to build some Nerf Bars for the Crew this weekend....Geez running out of time before the Rally.

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
I'm sure it will sound as good as it looks. Nice work, Steve!

I know what you mean about running out of time.....mine has also been a "running out of cash" problem. :lol:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts