Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To My Fellow UTV Enthusiasts,
I am a Texas dealer of ATV’s & UTV’s.
One of the most frequent questions that I get from customers who come in looking for a UTV is; can I make it street legal?
At this point in time, my only answer to them is “I’m not sure why, but NO”.
I am at a point where I am looking for an ally or allies to challenge this.
A UTV can easily be outfitted with turn signals, rearview mirrors, lighted license plate holders, etc.
Considering everything from motorcycles, to some of the tiny little “green” three wheeled death-traps that are being licensed daily, I can see absolutely no reason why they cannot be made street legal.
As a dealer, I can easily provide & create a UTV that fulfills every safety requirement that the State of Texas requires for a car. If I can find an ally (lawyer?), I will provide the vehicle and more, if you might be willing to take this issue up with me.
Case in point- In the early days of the HOV lanes for Houston freeways, two passengers was the law. A local attorney set out to deliberately be ticketed in order to form a basis for a challenge, based upon a little known federal law. He pushed the matter through the courts, and succeeded in opening these lanes to single rider motorcyclists, since the bikes are registered vehicles, and meet all legal and safety requirements.
I am in the process of researching the “catch” that makes a DMV clerk say no. I believe that I have it narrowed down, at least partially, and it is simply a trivial little bit of wording in the DMV code.

If anyone can help with information and/or guidance, please feel free to contact me.

Jeff Weimer
281-342-1806- Shop
832-744-8388- Cell

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Jeff, PM sent.
Some states such as Michigan do allow your machine to be made street legal when certain requirements are met.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jeff, I have a buddy here in Bama looking to do the same thing with a Ranger Crew. He says current law says no. However, I have recently seen in my neighborhood the Club car that is legal for the road. It even has a tag. So, maybe if Texas is allowing the golf cart to be licensed, that is a stop in the right direction.

·
Registered
25 Posts
as far as I know the plates on golf carts are issued by municipalities not the state. thats how its done in Port A I think

this is what I found when researching this
http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/drivers/golf_carts.htm
http://www.cityofportaransas.org/pdf/Golf_Cart_Application.pdf

·
Registered
147 Posts
Here in CA it has alot to do with how the manufacturer originally recorded the VIN or SN of the unit. We struggled with getting a club car registered through the DMV to travel between yards less than a 1/4 of a mile down a city street because it was originally registered as OHV. Had it originally been recorded for road use all we would have done is turn signals, brake lights, etc. and paid the DMV fees. The dealer stated that the majority of there units are OHV to keep cost down, apparently they have to jump through extra hoops and pay higher fees to record VIN's for road use.

G

·
Here in Illinois it is not possible to get it licensed for State Highways,County roads,etc because it is classified as off road.
That being said,our town allows for on road use within city limits provided you get turn signals,etc(again no county/state roads)
Here is my experience.I have found they just are not designed to be good road machines.
(just my opinion),

Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts