Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SSW Director of Public Relations
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Consumers Energy told us that they were coming out to trim the tree along the power line on our property. There were 4 rows of pine trees that ran all the way to the front of our property. This is what's left. :x :evil: They cut down a total of 36 trees. If this is what they call trimming I hate to see what clearing would be. :? :?:

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
That's a dang shame Dave !! :evil: They own the property that the power lines are on don't they - or do you?

·
SSW Director of Public Relations
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RZRRich said:
That's a dang shame Dave !! :evil: They own the property that the power lines are on don't they - or do you?
I do but I have to give them a right of way.

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Ya, its either that or no power :roll: I see that stuff from them all the time on my jobs :evil:

·
4,369 Posts
Yup, it sucks. At my old house, consumers had stopped by and asked permission to trim some trees, but I was not home. My neighbor told them it was okay to cut on my property as it was. I had a couple of vine type trees that were grown all over the power lines (One would think they would cut these trees down) Needless to say since I was out of town they did not cut as they did not have permission. When I called them back they said they were done trimming the tree lines in my area.

It cost me $500 to have a tree trimmer do it.....That was a thanks again to consumers.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just keep telling yourself how much money they saved you. Lansing uses contract trimmers. When they do he big Maple at the end of my drive.... there is some tree left..... and lots of mess to clean up.

Grab the wood before they come back and get it.

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
I agree that's pretty unsightly, but I supose it's better than not having power. I would suspect that not having power in a MI winter would be a bad thing :shock: .

·
Registered
147 Posts
Never a good thing to remove an established tree but on aoccasion it is necessary. I unfortunately get to deal with the PR side of this too often. 99.9% of the time it boils down to which was there first, the power line or the tree. I do not wish to imply that this is the case here but, all to often I see homeowners and businesses plant young trees too close to power lines, phone lines, fences, buildings, and even other trees. When trees are one inch in diameter and four feet tall most never think of the consequences of it being 30 plus feet tall and several feet in diameter. Something you may look into is tree replacement. My city requires me to replant two trees for every tree I remove regardeless of the reason for removal. Locations of the new trees have to be agreed to by the homeowner and don't necessarily have to be on there property, can be at a church, school, or other property as long as it is within city limits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts