Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
PRC & SSW Administrator
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this car new when I got out of the Army.

(This is not the actual car because I don't have any decent photos, but it looked just like this one)

1969 Chevrolet Nova SS 396
Specifications
Wheelbase, inches: 111.0
Weight, lbs: 3,400
Number built: 7,209
Base price: $3,185

Top Available Engine
Type: ohv V-8
Displacement, cid: 396
Fuel system: 1 x 4bbl.
Compression ratio: 11.0:1
Horsepower @ rpm: 375 @ 5600
Torque @ rpm: 415 @ 3600

Representative Performance
0-60 mph, sec: 5.9
1/4 mile, sec. @ mph: 14.5 @ 101

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Sweet car Gary!

Heres mine. Its not the real pic either, who knows where those pics are. :? Mine had a brown top. You could sit in the back seat, stretch your legs out and not touch the front seat. It had a 472 CI engine with a Turbo 400 tranny, it was a tank. I was 19 years old when i bought it. That was another life 8)

·
4,369 Posts
I think I have owned somewheres between 13 and 15 cars...however, I have never owned anything that would be collectable or really cool. Of all of the vehicles I did own, I believe I liked my 2002 Chevy Avalanche the best.

At the time, I has a love-hate realtionship with the truck. I loved the Interior and the comfortable leather seating. However, I hated the size of the box. I thought it was a useless box becuase it was so small. I could not fit my Sportsman in the back of the Avalnache box easily so I was stuck taking a trailer everywhere.

Anyways, now that I Own a Ranger and have owned a couple of pickup trucks since then, I really Miss the Avalanche. I loved the hard tonnaeu cover that they come with.

Maybe someday I will get another one.....I am currently truck-less right now, which is a bummer too. Hopefully next year I will buy another truck, after I figure out how to pay for the first year of college tuition for one of my Kids LOL.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Didn't "own" my favorite car but I got to drive it for 5 years. 1994 Chevrolet Caprice Police Package. From 94 to 96 they had the LT1 Corvette engine in them. Fully loaded with my gear the car weighed close to 5000 pounds, but you stomp on the gas and burn rubber on asphalt. You could drive at 100+ mph and stomp on the gas and it would downshift and accelerate. Unfortunately ours had a 120 mph computer in them. When it hit 120 you still have half the pedal left. At 100 it felt like you were going 60. It was so dang comfortable it was like driving the living room couch. Pursuits never lasted long because you could glue yourself to the back of anything that ran from you. They gave up quickly when they found they couldn't put any distance between you.

Before that I had a '89 Grand Fury. I remember the day I picked up the Caprice. I took it to our driving track and put it through the paces and then took it home. I then got in the Grand Fury and took it back to the station. As soon as I sit down I thought "What a piece of crap".

Now I drive a Crown Victoria, and quality may be job one, but someone needs a new job.

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
My favorite was my first one......1970 Olds 442 with a 455 RamAir II. It was burgandy with gold stripes and man it was a sweet ride. To this day I still kick myself in the butt for ever getting rid of it. :oops:

I'll see if I can find a pic' to scan and post.

·
PRC & SSW Administrator
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
commanderjjones said:
My favorite was my first one......1970 Olds 442 with a 455 RamAir II. It was burgandy with gold stripes and man it was a sweet ride. To this day I still kick myself in the butt for ever getting rid of it. :oops:

I'll see if I can find a pic' to scan and post.
They were new cars when I bought mine. I purchased mine in 1970 as a new car, but it was a 1969 Nova SS. The 442 was a great car!

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Gary Lenon said:
The 442 was a great car!
The car had been in a barn for over a decade, only had 39k (when I got it), looked nearly new, and I only paid $1000 for it :shock: ! I drove it about 10 years and put over 100k on it, then sold it for $5000......and like an idiot, thought that I was making a killing. I'd love to give him his $5000 back for that ride. :(

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Sweet Car!

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Mike,
My dad had one just like that....except it was black with gold stripes. That's one of my fav's. 8)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here's a pic of my best friends cutlas. We both love it, however he won't let me drive it cause he knows better! 8) It is definately a class act!!!

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
That's a nice Cutlas 8) . I can't see the tail lights to tell which, but it looks like a '68 or '69.

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Troutlander#1 said:
1973 Cutlas (non-442)
I was further off than I thought....but it's hard to tell without seeing the head and tail lights. Definitely a nice ride!

350 Rocket or 455 :?:

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
Cool car.

Ford Mustangs (65/66) have alwasys been my favorite cars. I have owned several but never thought about keeping pictures of them. I do have one still, it's a 65 coupe with a 6 cylinder 3 speed. I out it about 15 years ago. Drove it around for about 5 years and then parked it, Currently it sitting in my side yard under a cover. That's going to be my retirement project (8 more years), then I will completely rebuild it then give it to my oldest grand daughter, since I promised it to her when she was 5.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Having add many cars and trucks over the years the one I have now is my favorite, 2006 Hummer H3. Not a power house for sure but I really like it.

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
Nice Hummer, I have been looking at them for awhile, finally getting around to looking for another SUV type vehicle and I took the boss to look at one, first thing she said it was too big, later I found a full size Hummer and showed it to her and then realized I was showing her the smaller one. Jury still out on if I'm getting a Hummer or not, only time will tell.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts