Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the girls their first guns for Christmas.......a Red Ryder BB gun and a Rossi .22 / .410 combo. Yesteray was the first nice day that we've had in a while, so I decided to take them shooting. Unfortunately, we couldn't use the Ranger since there was 7 of us (also took the niece and nephew).....so we headed up the mountain in the minivan which I have dubbed the "Field & Stream" (not Town & Country :lol: ) off-road vehicle.

We found a hollow with a nice flat bottom near the trailhead of one of my riding spots and set up a couple of portable tables. The first 2 to 3 hours were spent covering gun safety and how to handle the 3 different type of weapons that we were using today.

Although we've been over it several times, my girls are still relatively new to shooting and I felt a refresher course was in order. Also, my niece and nephew have never shot or handled a gun before this, so I was glad that they had the opportunity to go with us because their parents aren't the "outdoorsy" type and they would probably never had exposure to this. I try to take them with us whenever possible because they really seem to love the outdoors.....especially riding in the Ranger.

After covering the safe handling and operation of the BB gun, a breech loading single shot, and a .22 semi-auto, it was time to do some shooting. We started with the BB gun and my girls were on target right off the bat :D .

Not to be outdone by the youngsters, it didn't take long before the niece and nephew were hitting the bullseye (or close to it) as well 8).

After that, we proceeded to the single shot and then onto the semi-auto.

They all paid close attention, handled the guns safely, and shot well. I'm proud of them all and we had a ton of fun :D .

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
Jerry, that's great bud - something they will always appreciate and remember, and it's the beginning of many more memorable times to come. 8) :wink:

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Now thats cool! You should be proud of yourself! Its so important to get them involved at a young age, and I'm sure they appreciated it as well.

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
Cool Jerry, it good to start the kids off young and teach them the correct way to handle a firearm. Too many learn from what they see on the TV.

·
4,369 Posts
Jerry,

That is awesome. It is a great way to keep an tradition going. The 22/410's are cool.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Way to go there :!: That what we have to do so that our kids and grandkids will always enjoy shooting and hunting sports in the USA :!:
dlineman1 prc9756 sxs480

·
Registered
237 Posts
Kudos to you Jerry. You're setting them up for many years or enjoyment of the outdoors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts