Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my dealer, 1.5 hours from my house, to see about a Rzr 4 or maybe a Ranger Crew. This is the same dealer I bought my Rzr and all of it's parts from.

I have a 2009 Rzr (std) with 427 miles and 48 hours on it. It also has a Polaris lock-n-ride back box, rearview mirror, soft top and a $1500 set of wheels and tires. I had to finance it because I work for a living and still owe $9000 on it. He told me he would give my $8000 trade for it and acted like I should thank him for it. I told him, if I keep all my stuff and trade it as stock I would do it so he said well in that case I will only give you $7500.

Can the resale value really be that bad on these things or do I need to sell it out right or find a new dealer.

·
4,369 Posts
You will always do much better selling outright. The dealer needs to buy low enough so he can resell for profit.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
slane01 said:
You will always do much better selling outright. The dealer needs to buy low enough so he can resell for profit.
I understand that, but is the resale on these things really that bad??

·
Registered
748 Posts
For what it is worth. The dealer I worked with to buy my RZR 4 was really up front on trading in my Ranger XP. He told me to sell it outright, he could only give me a faction of what it was worth.

That is why my Ranger is for sale. The biggest barrier to selling it is I don't have the ability to offer financing. Several folks have wanted it but could not come up with cash. I am working now with a shop that will take on consignment and market it, plus they offer financing to buyers. You may want to consider this route. The 5% consignment fee is peanuts compared to the hit I would have taken to trading it in.

·
PRC & SSW Administrator
4,302 Posts
quadtrax said:
slane01 said:
I understand that, but is the resale on these things really that bad??
Heck no, the resale is great on these RZRs! The dealers need to make a profit, so you should sell it on your own. If a dealer gives you what it is worth retail, how can they make any money? I think the amount your dealer offered was pretty close to what they go for as trade-ins. Sell it privately and go in and buy a new one...you will come out far better!

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
James, The resale on the RZR's is great, especially on one that has low hours and mileage as yours does, not to mention the accesories that are on it. By all means sell it on your own - keep the dealership out of it until you're ready to purchase a new one. Good Luck !! :D :wink:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So then even with my extras and the low miles, the dealer could still only get what .... $9500 out of it. Ok, I understand that.

The problem with selling it out right is the scammers are everywhere. I just sold a mini bike and an ATV on craigslist and those guys were on my like stink on ... well you know. Ship it and I will pay you, I will mail you a check and you ship it at the same time .... and on and on. I had 3 times more scammers than interested buyers emailing me.

I guess this one is going to take some thought, man I hate when that happens. :lol:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok ... I did some research on Rzr's for sale and from what is out there, my 2009 with low miles would be a steal at only payoff.

Thanks for your input every one, it really helped.

·
4,369 Posts
I think there are always chances of running into scammers. However, my old Ranger sold within 2 weeks of it being listed.

I had a couple of different dealers who both told me to sell on my own as they cannot pay nearly what we could sell for on our own. In addition, the dealers also said that the accessories don't really add much "trade-in value" to what they are willing to pay.

Good Luck on the sale.

·
SSW Support Staff
1,819 Posts
My dealer did the same to me when I was looking for a "S" the first time. My 08' had fairly low mileage, and is professionally maintained. Back in stock condition they only offered me $5500 I said that it was worth more than that and they would sell it for around $8000. The dealer claimed to me that used RZRs don't sell, I asked then why don't they stay in the sale papers very long. Didn't get an answer from him, and I still have the 08'. But I did get my "S" a year later.

·
SSW Support Staff
467 Posts
After reading James post a 09 rzr std. is only worth 9 grand. Sorry to tell you this but I just sold a almost new 2010 rzr le for 10 grand with 9 miles on it. :?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went up and rode a Rzr4, really didn't like it all that much. Also rode a Ranger Crew, not to bad. I'm thinking I will keep my "used Rzr" and just buy the Crew but they are going to have to come off the price.

Bike shops have become car dealers, I'll give you wholesale and you buy retail. I offerd him $2500 under retail for the crew, let's see what he thinks of that. Oh btw, I didn't bring a crew home with me .... :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts