What do I need to know? | Side X Side World

What do I need to know?

Discussion in 'Can-Am SXS Discussion' started by Anonymous, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Since I am new to this Commander thing,I would like to know the most important things I need to do/know about the 800.
    I got caught up in the forum hype with the rzr and do not want to go that route with the commander.

Doug

2. RZRRich

RZRRich SSW Director Staff Member

Doug, David aka bulldogs101 is the CanAm guy here at SSW, but he's now on vacation, for the next 4 weeks I believe. He did say he would be checking in, while on vacation, when possible.

3. bulldogs101

bulldogs101 SSW Support Staff

hay welcome to canam, I got delayed on vacation one day, leaving tonight. I will be out 4 weeks as stated, but should be checking in from time to time.

there great machines, here is a few fast tips, more to come when I get back, or if you have a direct question, someone will send me the link so I don't miss it in the next 4 weeks.

carry a spare belt, and tools. I strongly suggest opening up your machine and finding the belt and taking it off and putting it back on from the comfort of your garage so you know how if the time comes. take it off from the drivers side, under the panel where your right hip is. YOU WILL NEED A BELT REMOVAL TOOL, its basically a special sized bolt. you cant take belt off without. You should look in your canam supplied tools to see if they included one. the did not include them 2 years back, but may be doing it now. if not there is a guy on ebay sells them for 9 bucks, search ebay canam belt removal tool. beats paying 25 from a dealer.

if you want to change all your own fluids I can tell you how and tips there to, if you do your own. when climbing step step hills or big rocks from near stopped or slow riding, go into low gear so you don't smoke a belt. you must stop to go to low. it will take you anywhere you want to go. heat issues in cab will last 10 hrs then be mostly gone. like flipping a light switch there gone for the most part,

when changing the belt, there is a couple holes in the primary clutch, only 1 of those holes is threaded, run that bolt in all the way, then pull off the belt, make sure arrow is pointing correct way, put belt back on, remove bolt and its done.

sport mode and fast key is the way to ride. engine braking is incredible!!!!!!!!! break in is simple, ride it like you stole it, just don't go wot for more than 2 minutes during first 50 miles.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

David,
    is the oem belt what I need or can I use a Gates and not void my warranty?
    Doug

5. bulldogs101

you can use gates with no void, however in this case, stock belt is superior, many riders will tell you that to. the commander oem belt is the best, ebay can get you a good deal there to, kust search around for who has the best price shipped. of course gates will be fine to.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OEM it is.
    That is what I used on the RZR also.
    I found a belt removal tool from this guy.
    Is it the correct one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAN-AM-COMMANDER-OUTLANDER-RENEGADE-BELT-REMOVAL-TOOL-/171058323912?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d3dee1c8&vxp=mtr

Doug

7. bulldogs101

that's it Doug. its a simple bolt, no more, but thread and size is what matters. that tool works fine in every canam except the limited, which you don't have. so yes that is it.

8. bulldogs101

once you get it screwed in a ways you will see the clutch kind of open up and you pull off belt, if it wont come, screw bolt in a little further, pull again, you cant damage anything.

9. slane01

slane01 Moderator Staff Member

Looking forward to the Pics of the CanAm!

10. FunnyCap

FunnyCap Starting Member

Hi

Business Objects needs to look into this issue as i feel and should answer us the reason why this was..? Its just my opinion.

Regards
    Siva.M