Side X Side World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many of us SSW members have built or crafted something in the shop over time. What is the favorite thing that you have built in your shop. It doesn't have to be Side x Side related. Let's hear about some of your past projects and see some pics if that is possible.

My all time favorite project was my last High School Wood Shop project. During my Junior year of High School (20 Years ago), I embarked on the venture of building a Cedar Strip Canoe. This was an awesome year long project. I found the plans for the canoe in a book called Canoe Craft, which had several different canoe designs.

The project started with building the strong back form which was a plywood structure that would create the geometry of the Canoe. The Canoe itself consisted of a bunch of 1/4" x 3/4" wide Cedar strips that were ripped from 20+ foot long clear cedar boards. It was quite the challenge ripping a 20 + foot board cutting a 1/4" at a time.

Once the 100 + cedar strips were ripped, the shaper was setup to place a bead edge on one side of the strip, then a cove edge on the other side of the strip.

All of the strips were then stapled and to the strongback form and glued together. Once the canoe shell was complete, all of the staples were removed, the canoe was sanded smooth and the outside was fiberglassed with a Clear Fiberglass Resin. This fiberglass was then finished with multiple coats of Spar Utherane to aid in the protection from UV Rays.

Once the outside of the shell was complete, it was time to turn the canoe over and begin on the inside. The same process was utilized....sanding and Fiberglassing.. After the entire shell was fiberglassed, the Gunwale trim pieces were added along with the seats and the canoe interior.

The end result of this project was a 19' cedar strip canoe that weighed in a 55 lbs. The thing was beautiful and was a joy to use. I think back in the day I had $400 invested in materials. My local lumberyard had donated some Ash for the trim pieces on the canoe so that saved some expense. However, I believe the biggest Expense was the West Systems Fiberglass and Resin. I think that was almost $120 back then.

I was offered close to $2000 several times for my canoe back then, but refused to sell it, as I was very proud of that project (especially for a 17 year old kid).

I actually still have it today sitting in storage at my father-in-laws shop. One of these days I need to get this thing back out, dust it off, and take my kids out in it.

I really wish I would have documented this build with pictures back then. A poloroid would have been great LOL. However I did not :-( There were a couple of build pics in my yearbook that year, but I haven't a clue where those are either LOL.

Anyways, that is the build I am still the most proud of some 20 years later.

·
PRC & SSW Administrator
4,302 Posts
Very interesting build Steve! Some day get it out of storage and take some photos for us! I would love to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I run a little custom motorcycle shop in what spare time I have anymore. These are a couple of my favorite things I've built and one little project just under way... I just wish I could keep all of them!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Steve,

You should pull that out and enjoy what you've done! I'm selfish anyway as I'd like to see pictures!

·
SSW Support Staff
320 Posts
1968 camaro, had rsss package, 1 of 693 built for export to canada, number 432 off the assembly line. fully documented by gm of canada. took me about 10 months to finish from a painted shell

that car was special ordered with no stripes, gauges, ralley wheels. just go fast goodies

·
Registered
30 Posts
Eric... that is one beautiful car. I've never seen a big picture of it, just your avitar dealio. Fantastic job!

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Man, you guys have some pretty cool machines!

·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those are defnitley some very nice looking toys. Thanks for sharing.

·
SSW Support Staff
320 Posts
bomoco said:
Eric... that is one beautiful car. I've never seen a big picture of it, just your avitar dealio. Fantastic job!
I bought it from a friend of mine in canada, he is a mopar guy and so I ribbed him enough to sell it to me. it was a strangely ordered car, all the original owner wanted was the 300 hp 350, 4 speed and a 3:73 posi. and the hounds tooth interior.

I sold it after in 2005 after the last of 6 knee surgeries

·
Registered
30 Posts
I sold it after in 2005 after the last of 6 knee surgeries
Too bad you sold it. I understand, however. I still have the bike with the star on the tank but the rest have been sold. They all started out as a personal project for me but... well, it's hard to justify things like that sometimes. Oh well, I got the pictures and the memories of the good times building!

·
SSW Support Staff
320 Posts
a guy in salt lake city bought it. he has a warehouse full of muscle cars

·
Registered
30 Posts
Interesting... I need to meet this guy!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Beautiful work Frank!

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
That is cool!

·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That looks sweet Frank. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Over the years it would have to be this: A full MOD snowmobile that I built from just a pile spare parts (it wasn't always much to look at but it could eat anything in its class) The grey sled was the wife's if was also a sleeper, but was mostly stock, it just had been "assisted to its full potential"

In highschool my little brother and I got board one winter and built this, its now on its 2nd engine a Rotax out of a BMW GS650 (same engine as a a Can-Am DS 650) it rips. First engine was a Yamaha TT 500 that we put a high compression piston in and did a bunch of other work, we couldn't keep cams in it so we decided a couple of summers ago we needed electric start and liquid cooling. It does 100+ mph and will climb anything.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts