Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up an 06 LBZ with 57,000 miles and am looking to get a programmer fopr it, as well as an aexhaust and a few other mods. Suggestions?

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
I know these guy's make great products for the Ford Powerstroke Diesels. I'm sure they do the same for Chevy's. :wink:

Superchips:
https://www.superchips.com/#pn=onlinestore&vsc=true&vfid=1385

Magnaflow:
http://www.magnaflow.com/00home.asp

Banks:
http://www.bankspower.com/app/index/1

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am on my second one, traded the first one at 93,000 miles

I still have the second one with 114,000 plus I had it chipped when I got it.

It all good, give em clean fuel, clean air and clean oil.

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What chip are you running?

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
I'm not an authority on the Duramax, but from the Superduty forums I frequent, most guys seem to get the most out of The Edge Juice, PHP, and Diablo programmers. I'll speculate that the same applies to the Duramax......at least worth looking into. :wink:

·
Registered
15 Posts
What chip are you running?

I have the edge, and I can power break and smoke the tires with no problem on the number 2 setting

Keeping that in mind you also have your exhaust temp to monitor, anything over 1350 degrees and the alumium (sp) heads start to take a beating

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been looking at the Edge Evolution CTS, or possibly the Race. Its just a bit hard swallowing 600 to 800 bucks for a programmer :roll:

·
4,369 Posts
Curt,

What kind of mileage are you getting with your Duramax? I am in process of deciding whether I buy a 2006 extended cab in the next week or so. What do you hope to gain from the programmer? My buddy has an Edge programmer in his that he seems to like. However, don't really know if they are worth the $$

If I buy a Duramax, it will become my daily driver, so I will be looking at getting as good of fuel economy as I can. I won't be concerned about much else until I am towing something.

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am getting about 18 MPG. The programmer is supposed to help a bit, and winter blends hurt mileage so I'm hoping to get 20+ MPG in the summer. From what I read on the diesel sites you can have 2 identical trucks and one will get 20+ and the other will get 15 MPG.

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
carnivore said:
From what I read on the diesel sites you can have 2 identical trucks and one will get 20+ and the other will get 15 MPG.
That is true, but I think it has more to do with terrain and driving style than the vehicle. With all things being equal (tire size, gear ratio, mod's, etc...), the same truck operated at 80mph in the hills of east TN will not fair as well as a vehicle operated at 55mph in the flatlands of Nebraska. That's my take on the huge variance.

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
commanderjjones said:
carnivore said:
From what I read on the diesel sites you can have 2 identical trucks and one will get 20+ and the other will get 15 MPG.
That is true, but I think it has more to do with terrain and driving style than the vehicle. With all things being equal (tire size, gear ratio, mod's, etc...), the same truck operated at 80mph in the hills of east TN will not fair as well as a vehicle operated at 55mph in the flatlands of Nebraska. That's my take on the huge variance.
I suspect thats part of it, but I also suspect theres a bit of a variance in the trucks themselves, kind of like what we get with our Rangers. Back when I had my 05 I had two buddies that had identical machines with identical mods to mine and those machines never ran alike.

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
Curt, If you do some mods to your truck - as I have, at first you'll have your right foot into the 'Loud Pedal' and your mileage will suffer as a result but once you get used to it and back off on the 'Loud Pedal' pressure you'll see the mileage that you're expecting - don't ask me how I know this Bud. :oops: :shock:

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Same here, Rich. At first, that programmer is only gonna cost more fuel......but it can help save you some if you can bring yourself to keep the right foot off the floorboard.

Loose translation......Curt is about to creat a diesel guzzler :twisted: :lol: .

Curt,
I agree that there are some variances between engines......but I think the largest variances can typically be attributed to my previous comment.

I put some new shoes on the Superduty last night.....dropped down from a 35" to a 33" BFGT A/T. I don't think it will affect fuel economy much, but I can feel the power difference already and that was my main goal.....to get back some power when I pull the enclosed. That thing is like dragging a big parachute! :roll: :lol:

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You guys know me, I already have my foot in it, so it will still be an apples to apples comparison 8) Besides, I have a 360 HP 650 FT pounds, Chevy Duramax, so its already fast 8) :lol: :lol:

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
carnivore said:
Besides, I have a 360 HP 650 FT pounds, Chevy Duramax, so its already fast 8) :lol: :lol:
I think I still have to beat at the moment.....but it definitely didn't have those numbers when stock. Actually, my HP number is still a little under that (about 345), but the torque was about 790 on the dyno.

·
Registered Member
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
commanderjjones said:
carnivore said:
Besides, I have a 360 HP 650 FT pounds, Chevy Duramax, so its already fast 8) :lol: :lol:
I think I still have to beat at the moment.....but it definitely didn't have those numbers when stock. Actually, my HP number is still a little under that (about 345), but the torque was about 790 on the dyno.
So what you are saying is I have to make some "minor" mods 8) :lol:

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
carnivore said:
So what you are saying is I have to make some "minor" mods 8) :lol:
Yeah, only minor ones :lol: .

That's one of the great things about a diesel......you can make some MAJOR power without ever having to go into the engine........just bolt a few things on and you're there 8). But when you start adding new injectors, forged rods (etc...), the price really starts adding up quickly :shock: . Some of those guys on my Superduty site have some amazing machines.....some over 1000+ HP with unimagineable torque numbers. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts