Side X Side World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help my rzr wont idle when we change alltitudes it idles fine when we start but it syarts to run bad when we climb alltitude if i shut it off and key on for a few min it runs ok for a while as we climb down it does the same wont idle if i key o

n then it idles ok any help will be helpful thanks

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
Donald, the first impression I get is the TBAP sensor may be dirty.

*TBAP = Temperature & Barometric Air Pressure Sensor:
The TBAP sensor is located in the air-tube between the throttle body and the air filter. It senses air temp and barometric pressure, and sends a signal to the ECU so that the ECU can adjust the fuel accordingly. Most of the time when there is an issue with the TBAP it is due to broken/bare wires, or occasionally dirt on the TBAP. When there is a problem with the TBAP the ECU is programmed to make the machine run rich, but for some reason the machine will display a few different symptoms. There is no way to test the TBAP.
FYI - If you clean the TBAP sensor use an carburetor cleaner or an electronics type cleaner, something that WILL NOT leave any residue behind on the sensor.

Check the wiring at the TBAP plug by gently pulling on each wire individually - as you're pulling the insulation will stretch and /or may change color if the wire inside has broken. Most of the time a wire will fatique and break at this point. If you find that doing these steps has no effect on performance then I would trace and check the wiring as it travels underneath the machine - it's been known to get pinched/chaffed down there as well. If you find the TBAP wires broken at the plug Polaris does make a repair kit ... listed below.
*New connecter for TBAP #2875542 Kit Harness (Repair Kit )

Good luck and keep us posted on your findings Donald !!

·
SSW Rally/Event Director
5,153 Posts
Yeah, I'd have to agree with Rich.....sure sounds like a tbap issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
idle problem

thanks rich for the help i am going to check this on saturday will let everybody if this helps it could be a broken wire as we just got back from colorado and did some trail riding that we should not have been on but the rzr pulled us through we might be slow but we have not found a trail that we couldnt get up (at least for now)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
need more sugestions

i pulled off the plastic this weekend to check the sensor the wires seemed ok it didnt have any effect on the idle when i pulled on them. i took tbap out and cleaned it with berrymans carb cleaner. when i took it out and blew on it i saw dust come from it so it might have been dirty.i put it together it idle rough at first the longer it ran the smoother it ran. i also had dust in the tube the clamps are tight so i guess i need to snorkle it. any help will be apriciated thanks

·
SSW Director
5,457 Posts
jmdkw said:
rich this is a first gen june 07
Donald, I believe that model had air-box/filter issues from the factory and Polaris had a recall on it. It would pass / ingest dirt into the intake tract. Polaris sent out upgrade kits to the owners of the affected models to correct the problem - some had good luck with the upgrade kit while others went to aftermarket solutions ( Air-box's).

UMP makes a very nice set-up for the RZR:
http://www.kartek.com/Product/AirFilters/UMP.html

Vent Racing is another very good option:
http://www.ventracing.com/stingy-polaris-rzr-air-intake.php

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry air filter in first gen

yes this model has had a problem with air filter . it has all of the updates the factory has sent out unless they forgot me. i never run in a group because of this and the filter is allways dirty. i clean it on a regular basis there is a little dust past the filter all the time. i noticed the vent filter system u suggested i am saving for that system as i am a heavy machine mechanic (caterpillar power there aint no other)they all use a secondary filter and a primary filter we have a lot of dust in western dry kansas we have clean intakes. thankes for info.going to buy a tbap sensor and put it on hope it works next time in mountains dont know how to replicate allt changes here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts